Model Master coverage and drying time issues.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Gonzowerke

Model Master coverage and drying time issues.

Post by Gonzowerke »

Okay, I tried the search feature, and as usual, nothing came up that was helpful.
I have been using mainly Testor's paints all these years, and just now bought
some Model Master green and blue for some Trek bashes I am doing.

Is it normal for these paints to be real thin, and require more coats than the regular Testor's? Also, the intermediate blue seems to dry on the brush before I can get it to the model. What's up with that? My house has a humidifier on the heat-pump, and I keep it at 70% for my cigar collection,
so it's not that the house air is too dry.

Any Thoughts?

Gonzo out.
"What's Gonzo like? He's like Einstein, only evil!"
-Chris Palmer

"I don't like this ship! It's not fun!"
- Me, on the STVI enterprise kit
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Are these gloss or flat paints? I don't know a lot about the gloss paints MM offers, but it could also be a mixing issue. I've had problems where the pigment seperated from the enamel base in older jars, and formed a sticky gob at the bottom. Even after shaking the bottle severely for a few minutes the paint I drew out was still thinner than usual. And it seems to happen more often with gloss paints, though maybe it's just my imagination. Anyway, I get around it by dropping a 1/4-20 nut in the jar and shaking it up that way. The nut forces the gob of pigment at the bottom to mix in.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Gonzowerke

Post by Gonzowerke »

Damn, I never thought of the nut trick! Like a shaker ball in a spray can! I have plenty of nuts laying around from my days in R/C.

Thanks!

Gonzo out.
-Chris Palmer

TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Gloss paints can sometimes seem kind of tacky for quite a while. And the coverage will be thinner - you might do well to use several light coats.

Are you hand-brushing these? I used to hand-brush the flat paints, but never had much luck hand-brushing the glosses over broad areas.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Sometimes gloss takes very little time to dry.

70% is above the optimal humidity levels for painting. If, in another room it's more like 50 or 60%, that would be much better.

do you have a dedicated humidor or a hobby place where you can keep the humidity levels seperate?
Gonzowerke

Post by Gonzowerke »

I have humidors scattered around the house, they stay more stable at the 70% cigars like if I keep the house at say 65%. My spare bedroom is my space, and i can keep it drier in there. The intermediate blue that is drying too fast is flat. I'm trying to detail some impulse engines on a Connie, and it is lumping up on the surface because of the drying. I don't have the same problem with the other MM's I bought.

Babbaganoosh is better!Chickpeas suck!

Gonzo out.
-Chris Palmer

DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I put bb's in my bottles to break up that glob at the bottom.

I painted some this past weekend in a 2 hour block of worklessness (wife forced me to relax). The Testors I used ran the gamut from perfect coats to thick sticky mess to water-like colored substance. All paints were new, so I'll assume Testors' quality control clerk has gone missing. That or I grabbed a combo of new and old paints off the rack. The wierd thing is that the watery coats (gloss) turned out fine after looking like crap when sprayed. The other gloss colors ended up with chunks of paint in them, leaving what looked like dust under the surface of the coat. The flats were the same as always, nice and flat and a dream to spray.

I guess it's a matter of the draw. I still love their paints, they have the biggest color selection going. Their selection of blues suck, but otherwise I really like them.

Erin
<*>
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Go to a gun supply shop and buy a 10lb bag of buckshot. I've had mine for years and add a little in each jar of paint I get.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

stainless steel BBs don't work well in Acrylic paints. They'll rust after a while.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

They work fine in enamels though. I use BBs in my paint too.

-S
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

That's why you use brass bb's, but thanks for playing anyway. :roll:

Erin
<*>
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

DasPhule wrote:That's why you use brass bb's, but thanks for playing anyway. :roll:

Erin
<*>
That's why I use the buckshot. Besides a little lead in the paint keeps people from licking the models :wink:
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

- Dilbert
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

But they taste so GOOOOOOD!!!!!

Have you licked a model today?

Erin
<*>
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Got some MM acrylic paints that I bought 8-11 years ago and they've slowly dried up 1 by 1, a few I think are still good. Never heaed about the thing with the nut or BBs, so I think I'll give it a try using ball bearings for the hub of a bicycle. Thanks for the idea!!
Normal?? What is normal??
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

You can seriously extend the life of a jar of paint by thuroughly mixing it then store in lid down> the pigmant will settle and help to seal the jar. I have 10 year old jars of Floquil paint that are still good.
- Benjamin Franklin

- Dogbert

- Dilbert
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

DasPhule wrote:But they taste so GOOOOOOD!!!!!

Have you licked a model today?

Erin
<*>
NOT going there! [-X
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.