1/8" to 1/2" airbrush/compressor adaptor needed!!!

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Johnnycrash

1/8" to 1/2" airbrush/compressor adaptor needed!!!

Post by Johnnycrash »

Hey all (specifically those in the know)

I found my airbrush (an Aztec A470) and need to attach it to my compressor. All my compressor fittings are 1/2" and the airbrsh runs in 1/8" I have that dinky little Propelant Can adaptor (useless, unless you are running Propelant Cans).

What I would like is an adaptor to connect my brush to the tank!! I also would like to upgrade the hose that came with the brush. I have found a nice 15' braided cloth hose with a 1/4" adaptor on it. But it says it's for A Badger. Will that fit my Aztec??

Anyway, I need help. I have not been able to find what I am looking for. But to be honest, I'm not completely sure what I am looking for making it more difficult to find. So, in simple terms... HELP!!
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Like this?

I've purchased from this store before, good people.
Abolish Alliteration
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

More like this.

I guess I will need yet another adaptor to go from 1/2" to 1/4" to this fitting to the airbrush airline. Ugh!!!
John Fleming
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Dang that's tiny.
Abolish Alliteration
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Thanks. I can now connect things up. But, I still can't find a braided cloth air hose. I can find hoses for Badger, Paasche, Iwata, but nothing for Testors/Aztec. Does anyone know if those other hoses with 1/8", will fit my Aztec?? Or do I have to stick to the cheap hose that came with the brush??
John Fleming
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Stick with the cheap hose...the braided hoses for the Azteks are the exact same in the middle. Yeah, the braided looks cooler, but inside, it's the cheap rubber hose.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

True. The braided cloth is just a covering, and it's the same vinyl line inside. But, the cloth covered hoses are less likely to kink, glide better over surfaces, and adds some protection to the hose for nicks, and snags and so on.
John Fleming
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

You can always try a good plumbing supply store for all sorts of adaptors for airbrushes. there are fittings for just about every type of hose and coupling combination. Bring both the compressor and the airbrush to the store and they should be able to find all the parts. Fittings also are cheaper than entire hose assemblies.
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

Thanks. After thinking about it a little more, I realized that somewhere in this mess I had MANY parts and things and bits.

I finally found what I was looking for, my box-o-fittings. And, I actually looked at the cheap hose that came with my brush; it HAS a 1/2" fitting on the other end. Don't I feel stupid. :oops: So, I took all those bits, and built the adaptor thing I needed.

I needed a quick-change male, pressure gage, regulator, and a valve. At first it didn't work, just bleed air everywhere. WTF?? Oh!! Regulators are directional. My bad. So, tore it all apart, put it back together :? And then it worked fine.

So, I spent an hour or so getting familiar with it again. I had some gloss green acrylic that wasn't going to be using for anything... So, a lot of stuff laying about the bench, including the bench, are now gloss green. :D

Thank you all for the input. Had I thought about it just a little more, maybe I would have figured it out. Maybe. :wink:
John Fleming