tamiya paint

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

mechnut

tamiya paint

Post by mechnut »

ok so ive been hand painting for years now and i have a few models in which i have never been happy with the paint job. apart from sanding the paint of which will be time cnsuming is there some kind of well something which i can strip the paint of down to the bare gundam plastic in which im sure is still down there somewhere. cheers paul
THE MAN WHO TRIED HIS BEST AND FAILED IS SUPERIOR TO THE MAN WHO NEVER TRIED.
kap108

Post by kap108 »

Here in the US, we have a product called "Castrol Super Clean" which is an automotive cleaner/degreaser, and it can be used to soak plastic model parts in to strip the paint off, not sure if you have anything similar to that in England. If you painted the models with Tamiya acrylic paint, you can try soaking the parts in Isopropyl Alcohol or Tamiya Thinner, I have used the Isopropyl Alcohol with great success in stripping off Tamiya paints.
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

You might Also try spray oven cleaner. I have had great success with this just make sure to do it in a well ventalalted area.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert
macfrank

Post by macfrank »

trekmodeler wrote:If you painted the models with Tamiya acrylic paint, you can try soaking the parts in Isopropyl Alcohol or Tamiya Thinner, I have used the Isopropyl Alcohol with great success in stripping off Tamiya paints.
Yup. Tamiya acrylics come right off with either, although denatured alcohol will do a slightly better (ie quicker) job. Use an old toothbrush for hard to reach areas or stubborn paint spots.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

If it's just the paint, Windex or other window cleaners with ammonia will do a great job.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Mark Yungblut

Post by Mark Yungblut »

Ter is correct. I often have a jar attachment with a jar of 50/50 Windex to water to use as a periodic cleaner while airbrushing with acrylics. Helps to prevent nasty clogs.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
- Benjamin Franklin

"I am recalibrating my lack of faith in humanity. I start by reading opinions on message boards…"
- Dogbert

"What is his Comprehension level? Are we talking Human, Squirrel or Anvil?"
- Dilbert