Dullcote not being erm..dull ?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mike_T

Dullcote not being erm..dull ?

Post by Mike_T »

Hi folks, im having alot of trouble trying to get a decent proper flat finish on my vinyl kits. I first used dullcote on a model i painted in citadel acrylics a while ago and it worked superbly well. Just now im painting up a kit using tamiya acylics airbrushed on this time, and after a bit of shading using pastel chalk i sealed it with dullcote, but im disapointed with the finish as it's not flat at all, it now has a dull shine..the same as it was before i applied the dullcote. So what am i doing wrong? It's driving me mad. :evil:
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The only time I've ever had a dull coat not dull was when I didn't shake it up enough.

If that's not the case....then I'm clueless.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

This is Testors Dullcoat Lacquer in the rattle-can?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Kinda wondering too. I found Tamiya's flat base, added to Future, needed to be a LOT more flat base to Future than recommended.Something like 1:1 to get a satin finish.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

Kinda wondering too. I found Tamiya's flat base, added to Future, needed to be a LOT more flat base to Future than recommended.Something like 1:1 to get a satin finish.
just keep using the 4:1 or 3:1 Future to Tamiya flatbase ratio, but don't spray it like future without flatbase... just use short bursts.. keeping a 15 psi pressure on the airbrush.. if sprayed on too much it will shine. to achieve a satin finish, use a 6:1 ratio doing the bursts technique. hope this helps!
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

This is testors dullcote in the rattle can lads..
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

try shaking it for about a minute.. then dip half the spray can in "warm" water. this always helps keep the temp at a stable level..
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

I agree that the Dullcote may not be as well mixed as it should be so tyr another coat. Citadel also makes a superb flat spray that comes in a large can. It works especially well with their line of colors.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

LuiS_42 wrote:
just keep using the 4:1 or 3:1 Future to Tamiya flatbase ratio, but don't spray it like future without flatbase... just use short bursts.. keeping a 15 psi pressure on the airbrush.. if sprayed on too much it will shine. to achieve a satin finish, use a 6:1 ratio doing the bursts technique. hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice, that was prolly my problem.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.