Help with airbrushing...badger 350..

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Mike_T

Help with airbrushing...badger 350..

Post by Mike_T »

Hi folks..need some answers on some issues i have. Im using a badger model 350, with a BM250 micon minibox compressor @2.5 peak pressure. Now using tamiya acrylics...thinned with tamiya's own thinner. When i start to brush the air comes out with a blast initially, then settles down into a normal flow, trouble is it does this everytime i stop and im sure it has something to do with the pressure building up when im not brushing then it lets go of the excess so is this normal? Also when im brushing i cant seen to get an even flow, the paint comes out with the initial blast, then nothing or very little. So i find myself shooting the paint in bursts, i can still get a decent finish though, but this cant be right can it? Is my paint not thinned enough? i get the same thing no matter which nozzle im using.

Thanks for any advice :thumbsup:
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Sounds like the compressor, I love Tamiya acrylics, and use a 350 all the time, with a Silentaire Scorpion 1 compressor. Shoots perfectly, its fool proof. The pressure seems a tad low though that you're using. The Scorp shoots something like 20 PSI constantly through a moisture trap.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Sorry i think my post was a little misleading...the compressor has a peak pressure of 2.5 Bar / 35psi... does that help?

:oops:
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Not familiar with the compressor, the Scorpion has auto on/off, a feature I love, and the moisture trap lends to very even pressure. I just thin the paint with the highest percent isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) I can find, so it's kinda like skim milk. Never had a problem.
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

I also believe it is a compressor problem. I use a Badger 350 with an old Badger compressor and it works perfectly. Tamiya paints tend to flow very smoothly so it is unklikely to be an airbursh or paint problem. You should try using your airbrush with a friend's compressor to see if there is still a problem.
There is a very small possibility that there could be a small clog in the airbrush itself. that would explain why initially the paint doesn't flow. However after tearing down the airbrush and cleaning all clogs should be visible.
Stubbs

Post by Stubbs »

Does your compressor have a pressure bleed-off valve to it? That may account for the brief blast before going back to normal airflow.
What's more dangerous? The guy holding a gun to your head, or the guy who has the literary skill to make poison read like sugar?

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/ ... hotobucket 'el Stubbserino</a>
Mike_T

mm

Post by Mike_T »

..i am inclined to think that the compressor isnt really up to the job. If i start spending more time on the hobby then i will have to invest in a better compressor. It's just a white box with an on/off switch..nothing else.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

I'd guess the problem is the compressor too. Have you tried spraying just thinner or water to see if it still sprays the same? Just trying to eliminate the possiblity of the problem being that the paint isn't thinned enough.

-S
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Right, i tried the air brush using only water and it seemed to spray ok, so then i tried using the ab with tamiya royal blue, with a little extra thinner than usual, the result was a bit of a disaster really, paint came out in blobs and a mottled appearance.. so i ended up washing it off and repriming the vinyl..grr. :evil: I was using the heavy 'H' nozzle... what do the other 350 users use the most... the 'M' perhaps?

I need to set aside some time for experimenting i guess :|
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I only have the medium and fine nozzles, both have worked great thus far. My Paasche H has a heavy nozzle, but I've not tried it yet.

BTW, what type of siphone bottle are you using? My 350 came with a crappy bottle with a plastic lid and plastic siphon tube that fit like crud. I found replacing the bottles with Paasche bottles with the metal siphon fitting improved things too. If the fit is poor it could be that the pull from the airflow is inconsistent. With water it might not be evident, but with the thicker paint there might be a problem, just a thought.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

The stuff im using all came with the 350. It has a what looks like aluminium cap & metal fittings, and a plastic siphon tube that seems to fit ok..
XFactor

Post by XFactor »

Sounds to me like it's definately your compressor. nor enough cfm (cubic feet per minute) through the hose. You are getting that blast because when the airbrush is "off" full preasure is built up in the airline when the airbrush is "on" the initial pressure is now bled off and the unit is not putting out sufficiant cfm to compensate for the flow through the hose. I am not familiar with the compressor you mention but I have experinced this before, I'll bet it doesn't have an air tank on it which is a partial source of your problem. BTW: and this is just an FYI, IMO ditch that Badger 350 immediately!!! I have never used a bigger POS in my life, do youself a big favor and get a Paasche H you'll be glad you did.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Interesting, I've got a 350 and and H, I've never had a problem getting fantastic results with the 350. Though I do use the hose that came with the Scorpion, not the tiny thing that came with the 350.
XFactor

Post by XFactor »

yeah, that seems to be the issue some people use them with no problem others don't. To me, personally, I think that shouldn't be the case. Single action airbrush's should be the easiest to use across the board regardless of brand. The Badger seems to be twitchy. Al I can say it I have never heard of the Paasche giving anyone a problem, sprays consistantly even when dirty, with any meduim I shove through it. Very forgiving, low maintainance, great finish every time, all metal mechanics. Thats just MHO with my experience with both. I also tryed the Badger 200............Stinko too, was cleaning it more than using it. The Aztek was no better as I use solvents that one was the worst of all. Binks and Paasche are the only ones I'll ever use.
Mike_T

Post by Mike_T »

Hmm, sounds good. Im going to change my setup in the new year.. which kind of paasche do you recommend as i dont really know alot about them..

Thanks for any info :wink:

*ps* the compressor doesnt have an air tank..pressure gauge..or er.. anything else really..apart from an air fitting but it's for the bin soon anyway :?
XFactor

Post by XFactor »

*ps* the compressor doesnt have an air tank..pressure gauge..or er.. anything else really..apart from an air fitting but it's for the bin soon anyway
So I though, it definately sounded like it.

Paasche Airbrshes
Take a look at what Paasche has to offer, I recomend the Paasche "H" Set, it's a great starter kit with a quality single action, 2 tips, 2 bottles, 1 color cup, braided hose, and even an airbush hanger, plus starters booklet for a reasonable price. Been using mine for well over 12 years and have never replaced any parts. The only thing I ever had to by was more color cups ( I hate cleaning out the same cup all day)

So far as compressors go I can't recomend what I'm using because I'm using overkill (Commercial 30 Gal. 2 stage) I can recomend a guideline though. Look for something with a reserve tank (10 -15 gal.), regulator, air flow at least 50psi max (10 more than you'll need normally), with at least 2.5-3.0 cfm(cubic feet per minute), and auto shutoff with over-pressure release valve. About tank size...the bigger the tank, the less it will run and the more constant the pressure. There are some "Diaghram" type compressors out there but I have no expreince with them, they are limited to what you can power with them. The be all end all really is very much like to quote a famous drag racer "There's no substitute for cubic inches" - "Big Daddy" Don Garletts. The bigger the unit, the more you will be able to do with it away from the hobby bench, but thats a personal decision.

Hope all this was helpful to you.