Removing Decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

big-dog

Removing Decals

Post by big-dog »

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm lloking into re-doing a bunch of kits (did you know kits grow in bunches?) and want to remove the decals. I'm not worried about saving them. I can't find anyhting made for this, looked in a few train shops, wondering if anyone has any ideas? I was thinking of simply scrubbing with a Scotchbrite pad or summink.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Without clear coat they should come off by simply holding a damp cloth on them for a bit until they soften enough to come off. If you intend to strip the paint too, then don't worry about the decals, they'll come off with the paint.

-S
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Tape with good adhesive works well, too.

Though, as mentioned, if you're srtipping the kits, the decals should peel off too.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Been soaking some pieces in rubbing alcohol the past couple of days to remove old paint and when I went to scrape the paint off with my thumb nail the old decals also came off.
Normal?? What is normal??
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Thanks for the info, I'm debating stripping the kits, since there's only minor weathering. Thankfully I seem to have been a minimalist as a youth. No excess glue, in fact some of the seams have come apart, and no excess paint. Thinking I might just smooth the surface and prime. Everything's in good allignment, have to go over the seams with Tenax or Ambroid and everything should be tight. Once again, thanks a lot guys.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.