Tamiya Flat Base - a bad batch...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

stevipop

Tamiya Flat Base - a bad batch...

Post by stevipop »

.....or is it always like this?

Hi guys,
Need advice for the above. I've never used the stuff before, and I suppose I was expecting a clear fluid that has the consistency of normal Tamiya acrylics, but instead it's like a thin syrup. Is this normal?

If it is always like this, what effect does it have on the consistency of other acrylics like, say, future or perhaps regular tamiya paints? Will they then have to be thinned, with X20A thinner for instance, in order they can be sprayed?

Should I premix Flat Base with thinner prior to adding to another paint?

Any advice on varying mixing ratios and the resulting effects would also be greatly appreciated.
Thomas E. Johnson

Post by Thomas E. Johnson »

Its NOT a flat overcoat. Its ment to be mixed into Tamyia gloss paints to make them flat. If you apply it direct to a model you with get a white frosty mess.
Thomas E. Johnson
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

Thomas E. Johnson wrote:Its NOT a flat overcoat. Its ment to be mixed into Tamyia gloss paints to make them flat. If you apply it direct to a model you with get a white frosty mess.
Several years ago I found that out in the worst way possible. I thought it was a clear flat and ruined a meticulous 'Betty Page Jungle Fever' figure paint job. Oh was I pissed.
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

thin it with future. use 4 parts future to 1 part flat base. no need to thin just mix it well.spray in short bursts to avoid pooling. i use this technique all the time and it works like a charm! :D
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
stevipop

Post by stevipop »

Thanks for the replies guys.

LuiS, your recommended ratio for future and FB was most welcome. Thank you.

I'm not so sure I'll bother now though after reading through this currently active post. Seems more trouble than it's worth :?