just gloss paint before decals...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

LuiS_42

just gloss paint before decals...

Post by LuiS_42 »

i am currently on a build.. i have done the priming and base painting.. but during the process, i didn't like the base color that i used(call me stupid for not testing it first, the color looked good on a test subject but i didnt like it on my model)
anyway, i didnt want to re-paint the whole thing by stripping it. i'm going to use a gloss white acrylic(Tamiya) as my new basecoat(covering the old one),
question is can i skip the future application before the decals to avoid the silvering? can i just place my decals over a gloss white paint? will this be enuf to avoid the silvering? i know i should do the future coat, but i'm afraid i might have to many coats of paint on my model and it might cover the nice details.. i still have to do the future coat after decals for wheathering..and a final flat coat for the seal.. thats:
1.primer
2.base coat
3.base coat (new)
*decals*
4.future
*wash*
5.future flat..

thanks for the info
"Hell Hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega."
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

swab it down with solvaset before you apply the decals.
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

you dont need to future it after the wash just mattcoat over the finish thats there. You really dont need to future over the decals before you wash either. If the decals are decent quality it shouldnt pose a problem to just paint, decal,wash,dullcoat.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

does setting solution correct silvering? i just have Mr.mark softer.. and if i do develop some silvering, will a coat of future correct it? thanks
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

NOt always, no. I have found some interaction with some paints and the decal adhesive too. Best to experiment on some scrap plastic first.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Saturn

Re: just gloss paint before decals...

Post by Saturn »

LuiS_42 wrote: <snip>
question is can i skip the future application before the decals to avoid the silvering? can i just place my decals over a gloss white paint? will this be enuf to avoid the silvering?
<snip>
Ever hear of a U.K. hobby paint company called Xtracolor? Most of their colors are high gloss (military colors!) just so you *don't* have to gloss coat prior to decals. I don't think what you're attempting is any different- sounds good to me.

FYI, TwoBobs sells the Xtraacrylic line- and it's pretty good.
LuiS_42 wrote: i still have to do the future coat after decals for wheathering..and a final flat coat for the seal.. thats:
1.primer
2.base coat
3.base coat (new)
*decals*
4.future
*wash*
5.future flat..
Yes, that how I'd proceed as well. I always seal the decals in a glosscoat prior to wash- even over gloss paint. Otherwise, you risk the wash popping out decal carrier film- which is almost worse than silvering IMHO. Washes are easier to do on gloss surfaces anyway.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
LuiS_42

Post by LuiS_42 »

thanks for the feedback! :)