What happened? (2 coats of same paint are different shades)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

What happened? (2 coats of same paint are different shades)

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

I was doing some camoflage on a model last week. I put my first coat, by brush, of MM Gunship Gray over a basecoat of some WalMart special light gray gloss. After it sat a week, I gave it a coat of Future. Then after another three days or so, I did a second coat of gunship gray to make up for the thin coverage on the first coat. I did not follow perfectly the lines of the first coat, only seeking to cover those areas in the gunship gray spots where it didn't cover completely the first time around. Well, when it dried, it was a shade darker than the first coat, and you can see the difference since I didn't recoat the entirety of the camoflage areas. Was this my mistake, or did something else occur as well? Comments? Help? :?:

Dirk
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Gunship grey is notorious for not matching up even when sprayed from the same bottle. Sometime clearcoats can also adjust the color. Give the model anothe coat of future and see if it helps a little.
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
Stingray

Post by Stingray »

I suspect that the problem may be that since your first coat was not terribly heavy, it ended up being slightly translucent. This allows the color under to show through somewhat, effectively lightening the color. Your second coat, going on top of the first did not have this translucency, and so appears darker.

-S
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I'd second stingray, I've done yellow over gray primer, the blue in the primer made the subject greenish, it took 3 coats got get a yellow colour.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Hey guys, just an update, but WOW-

I threw another coat of Future on it, and the problem disappeared! That Future never ceases to amaze me. Awesome.
Thanks for the tips-definitely helpful. :thumbsup:

Dirk
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
mightymax

Future

Post by mightymax »

dirkpitt77 wrote:Hey guys, just an update, but WOW-

I threw another coat of Future on it, and the problem disappeared! That Future never ceases to amaze me. Awesome.
Thanks for the tips-definitely helpful. :thumbsup:

Dirk

I was gonna suggest that maybe the first coat of future caused the paint to diffuse light differently thus altering the appearance of the second coat.
I was gonna suggest trying to shoot more Future to see if it evens it out but you already did.

Cheers,
Max Bryant