Sanding Styrene Plastic...

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

musikman

Sanding Styrene Plastic...

Post by musikman »

I'm in the middle of modifying my GALACTICA model to accommodate the detail set made by SMT. Part of the process includes sanding off the sparse detail already evident on the hull. A Dremel was fine for open flat spaces, but there are so many nooks and crannies on the model that it simply cannot get to.

Any suggestions on the best (and fastest) way to get to and sand down these har to reach areas?

Thanks!
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I would recommend a jewelers file set. That's one trick I use for small areas.

Another trick onezero turned me on to, is simply folding heavier-duty sandpaper upon itself to reach confined spaces. Head to Wal-Mart and pick up some 3M wet-dry sandpaper in the finest assorted grits you can find. The sheets will be big, approximately 8 1/2-inch by 11 inch sheets. One good-sized package will last for months.

Trim pieces off of the large sheets with scissors, and fold them as needed to make various flat/trianglular/rounded sanding edges to reach what you need. Voila! You've got little flexible sanding sticks. Dip them in water as you go to keep them from clogging.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

First, a small chisel. That'll take care of the worse.

Then, Flex-i-pads & Sanding wands.

And, if worse comes to worse, carve some popsicle sticks or toothpicks and glue sandpaper to them for tiny sanding sticks.
Abolish Alliteration
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

1. Get one of those cheapie electric toothbrushes.

2. Cut the bristles flush with the surface of the little rotating part of the brush tip.

3. Trim down a small swatch of the loops part of a piece of velcro - make a circular piece about 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter and superglue it to the end of the electric toothbrush.

4. Trim down a similarly sized and shaped piece of the hooks part of the velcro and glue that to a same-size piece of your sanding material of choice.

5. Attach number 4 to number 3, et voila, instant detail sander!

When the sanding material is exhausted, cut another piece and continue.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

And you can make a bunch of such "velcro sanding pads" with varied coarseness ahead of time. If you use sanding film and epoxy adhesive, the whole shebang is waterproof, and perfect for wet-sanding (you can even do it in the sink, UNDER the water, because electric toothbrushes are waterproof).
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Get some wood popsicle sticks. You can get them by the gross in craft stores, or just get some popsicles!

Superglue some wet/dry and you have some great sanding sticks you can cut down to size, with whatever grit you desire (or have).

I've also done this with a strip of 1/16" brass and a steel ruler - exceptional flatness and you can just take a single edge razor blade and scrape off the paper/glue when the paper gets all mushy. Reusable!

Kev
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

I've always been fond of needle (jewlers) files. But I recently bought a set of angled needle files - just a needle file with with about a 30 degree bend at the end. They are perfect for tight spots.