Micro Mask with acrylics? Ran into a problem.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

justcrash

Micro Mask with acrylics? Ran into a problem.

Post by justcrash »

I put some micro mask on a base display that I primered, base coated and futured over a year ago, and masked off what was left, sprayed, pulled off the micro mask, and the paint underneath was soft and came off with it as well. The micro mask was only on it 2-3 hours tops.
What did I do wrong?
vfxart

Post by vfxart »

This just in from the quick guess department...:

First shot is that the mm hadn't fully set underneath and simply adding the acrylic over the top created a wet layer right between the two that didn't alllow either to dry.

Second would be simply the old 'bad batch' stand-by, but I'm not certain of that either. Kinda doubt it.

Third... a long shot, but something to watch out for any way. Too thick a layer of acrylic and/or teh acrylic didn't get in right down next to the mask. This can lead to problems with drying time, and also give you problems with the acrylic layer tearing when you remove the micro-mask. That stuff forms a pretty mean little step if you're lucky, and you can remove it cleanly. Some times though, you can get air trapped in a small wedge between the micro mask and acrylic, usually right at the edge of the mask. The paint never makes it all the way to the surface, so the poor adhesion by the acrylic makes it easy for the mask to pull the paint up with it, no matter how long it's set up.