Paint substittute

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

durendal

Paint substittute

Post by durendal »

Using hobby paints like Gunze and Tamiya is a bit expensive. So I've tried experimenting using industrial grade thinners and they are actually good substitute especially for enamel paints. Now, has anybody tried using paints that can be bought from hardware stores? Because I tried it once (forgot what kind of paint it was) and the plastic just melted. Could there be a possibly that a substitute paint can be used?
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

White flat latex interior could prolly serve as primer if you're using acrylic paints. Modern latex paints are just called that out of tradition, they're acrylic, likely due to allergies to latex and such. Other than that craft and hobby acrylics can be used. Though I've had far better luck with model paints.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes, there are a lot. Back in the day a lot of my models where painted with paint from my Dads collection of rattlecans. You're cheapest bet are the craft pants from somepace like HoobyLobby or Micheals.

As for industrial paints, watch out for lacquer or other solvent based paints as they can melt the plastic (as you've experienced).

But, you'll find over time you'll get easier results out of model paints.
Abolish Alliteration