Zip Kicker attacking?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Zip Kicker attacking?

Post by Digger1 »

I tried filling the pylon/hull seams of the D-7 last night with CA glue and zip kicker in the aerosol can but the kicker seems to have made the plastic somewhat sticky. I wiped it away immediately after spraying but it still crazed the plastic.

What happened? Should I start the whole kit over again?
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Haven't had that problem yet. Just bought and tried the aerosol kicker. Personally I'm not happy with it. You just want a little spurt and you get a very wastful spray that covers half the model. Wish I could be more help here, sorry
Brian
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Yeah, I found that a way too excessive amount got released. I'll stick with the pump-action spray bottle myself.
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

for those occasions i recommmend baking soda
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

Superglue accelerator has a nasty habit of embrittling plastic. It will craze acrylic too. Wrap a strip of thin styrene around something like a pen, spray it with kicker and watch the strip disintegrate. It's funny, I've just been talking about this on another forum.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The original Zip-Kicker tended to eat plastic. They changed the formula several years back to stop that. Problem is, you can still find the old stuff some places.

The newer formula feels a bit greasy at first, before it evaporates.
Abolish Alliteration
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

You can overcome this problem by applying the accelerator with the same tools you use to apply cement. I use little syringes, but you can use pipettes, micro brushes, touch 'n flow applicators, etc. I like the syringes because you don't actually have to touch the part with the tip to get a drop of accelerator on. I've instantly glued micro brushes to models before.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Yep, had that problem when I was wrapping thin styrene around a cylinder to make a hollow one. Shot it with glue, then hosed it with the sprayer. The plastic immediately split right down the middle. Much use of language not fit for public consumption followed.

I now just unscrew the top and use the drop that clings to the end of the tube leading down from the sprayer cap. Just remember to either keep the bottle away from where it can be knocked over, or recap it tightly!

Count Kekkula
scanam2005

Accelerators

Post by scanam2005 »

Superglue accelerators need to be used sparingly. If I use accelerator just the smallest drop will start the catalytic action. I often use baking soad since I can place the baking soda on the joint and then add the superglue to make the bond. I laos find the fumes of accelrator to be quite irratating which it is.