Shaping Plasticard/sheet styrene?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

NikToo

Shaping Plasticard/sheet styrene?

Post by NikToo »

Does anyone know if it's possible to shape Plasticard (sheet styrene), like vinyl? Or is it too rigid?

Thanks,
Nik
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

It isn't that much harder. By shape it, do you mean bend it, curl it, vacuform it, etc?
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
NikToo

Post by NikToo »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:It isn't that much harder. By shape it, do you mean bend it, curl it, vacuform it, etc?
Just cut it to shape and slightly bend it.
REL

Post by REL »

You can also lightly score it with a X-acto knife and bend it along where you scored it, be careful though or it'll snap in two.

Another trick if you want to bend a piece around the model is to glue one end of it down, then slowly lay it on the model and glue as you go until you get to the other side, if it's a complex curve you can use a hair dryer to soften it a bit.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Like vinyl, styrene comes in many thicknesses. The thickness you want depends on the application. The thinner it is, the easier it bends and shapes, but thin stuff isn't so good for structural applications.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
NikToo

Post by NikToo »

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to use it to make the body armor for a 12" Jango fett, made from various bits and pieces. The bits I need to make are the chest, shoulders, leg and foot armor plates.

I did this figure by cutting out the armor bits from the plastic torso of the Marmit figure, so you can see what sort of shaping and bending is needed. Thickness wise I'm thinking of 1-1.5 mm.

And this is the desired result:

Or http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/librar ... 263310.jpg (why aren't images working?)