Own Use Part On Sprue Duplication

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

WarpeD

Own Use Part On Sprue Duplication

Post by WarpeD »

I have a project in mind where I would want to make a few copies of a Gundam head unit for a conversion. I've searched this board as well as the Aircraft Resource Center to no avail. I'm a complete, utter casting noob. But I want to learn, and I figger this to be a nice tame way to start. Please let's not start the legal eagle discussion - in no way will my dupes be offered to others. I'm a good boy. Well, most of the time!
en'til Zog

Post by en'til Zog »

Since this forum's contents don't evaporate - search for "Resin" "RTV" "Casting" in the "Search" engine, or just cruise down the threads looking for those or similar words.

When you find a thread on those subjects, copy 'em off onto your own computer, massage 'em to remove all the spaces, empty lines, etc & SAVE the results.

That's what I've done and have some good info in my 'how to' files.
WarpeD

Post by WarpeD »

Absolutely. For general molding and casting, there's data here that will go far in helping me learn the basics.

But what I'm driving at specifically is the best methodology for casting parts on sprue. Copying existing parts. I've seen the results of a complete kit recast, I know it can be done. It's that level of finicky technique I'm looking for. Thanks, tho!
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

Here's a thread on someone casting up a bunch of parts:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/forum//in ... topic=6743
Lots of pictures, goes step by step, and he's not done yet. Looks helpful to me!
Andrew