Dope?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Dope?

Post by Digger1 »

What is dope, anyway?

No wisecracks, please. :wink:

I used dope thinner to clean brushes once. Big mistake. The stuff is overkill, bigtime.
naoto

Post by naoto »

It's a lacquer typically used when building model aeroplanes (flying type). Yep, that stuff is pretty "hot" and will melt plastic if you're not careful.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I've seen it used primarily over tissue paper on a rib and tissue paper aircraft, makes the paper hard without adding a lot of weight.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
naoto

Post by naoto »

BTW the dope on tissue paper or silkspan not only stiffens it somewhat but also seals it and tightens it somewhat (due to the shrinkage from drying). Typically I use a 50/50 mix of dope and thinner for sealing tissue coverings.

Dope is sometimes used to attach the covering to the framework, other times folks will glue it (typically by thinning a glue like Titebond). I've tried both methods and haven't found a significant difference ('cept for the smell and working time -- dope is smellier and tends to evaporate faster).

It's also used directly on balsawood -- as it seals the wood from moisture and helps prevent warpage from it (this might not be a problem for those indoor jobs -- but is quite important if you plan on flying outdoors). You can mix in some talcum powder to make a grain filler -- which works pretty nicely on balsawood fins on model rockets. Another method of dealing with the balsawood grain is to apply a tissue paper covering (attached with dope or thinned glue) -- which increases strength without much weight, seals the porous balsawood surface, and adds color (works quite nicely on boost-glide model wings).

Dope is sometimes referred to as "banana oil".
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Dark Helmet wrote: Smoke'em if ya got'em!

Oh... that dope... :oops:
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.