lack of respons/help (with acrylic lacquer)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

irishtrek

lack of respons/help (with acrylic lacquer)

Post by irishtrek »

A few days ago I posted a problem with painting on this site and so far a extreme lack of help!! the guys over aat hobby talk have been a whole lot more helpful than anyone here!

signed angry
Jagdson
Location: Hunched over my keyboard like a *pothoc* vulture, cursing my inability to properly budget my time.

Post by Jagdson »

Less than Super OStrich has a possible answer for you.
I, for my own part, have never heard of "acrylic laquer," and so had no useful input.
Science created airplanes and skyscrapers, but it took faith to bring them together.

Trust me. I'm a priest.
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Are you owed something? Why be upset? It's no one's job to field all and any questions. Many folks here go to Hobbytalk, CultTVMan's board, and the Clubhouse as well. Could be they've seen you've gotten some responses already, including the 2 here from today. You've got plenty of good ideas to address your situation. That ain't so bad for free advice!
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

Jagdson wrote:Less than Super OStrich has a possible answer for you.
I, for my own part, have never heard of "acrylic laquer," and so had no useful input.
I too thought the question was strange... I thought acrylic and laquer were mutually exclusive. EZ Off oven cleaner when in doubt usually does the trick!
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Five days 67 views and no response.I just think that is a little unfriendly/helpful is all. Any way Babganoosh already ssugessted easy off. Sounds too messy for me but I havent yet decidedwhat too use,was hoping for anyother ideas out there.
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

It's just a lacquer-based paint with an acrylic polymer additive. Think of it as just lacquer paint. Acrylic polymer is a thermoplastic added for strength in the paint so you can have Acrylic enamels and they can be solvent-based or water-based paints. It's the base you need to consider in how the paints will interact. I'm thinking the solvent in the Lacquer was enough to soften the enamel underneath. It's not big deal. Castrol Super Clean degreaser/cleaner should get the paint off without harming the styrene. Home Depot makes a generic version called ZEP Purple Degreaser. Essentially the same stuff. Thing is the PL Enterprise parts can be pretty big. For most of the parts, I'd get either a 2 or 5 gallon bucket and fill it woth a couple of gallons of purple degreaser/cleaner and I'd soak the parts for a day or two. For the bigger parts, I'd spray the stuff on and cover the parts with plastic so the solvent doesn't dry out. It's less messy and fumey than Easy-Off, but I'd still make sure there's fresh air and I'd wear rubber gloves to be safe. I'm not certain whether it's more or less caustic than Easy-Off, even though it's supposed to be bio-degradable, I know it can do a number on your skin if there's any contact.

5 days? You posted that query on the 26th. It's only the 29th!
Last edited by ignatz on Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProfKSergeev

Post by ProfKSergeev »

irishtrek wrote:Five days 67 views and no response.I just think that is a little unfriendly/helpful is all.
No one here is obligated to help you or anyone else with modeling problems or questions. And perhaps there was no response because no one knew the answer.
Poyekhali!
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Dude, if nobody here knew what you were talking about (such as I) you're not going to get much response.

And, I had no idea what to do with acrylic laquer.

So, I didn't have anything to add.

Now that you're unjustly upset I've done some research. You've got two choices, depending on the type of acylic laquer. If it's a true laquer base you're hosed, it's sanding time. If its the other type Simple Green, Brake-Clean, or EZ Off will remove it (and anything else).

We all have off days.
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I did not say any one was obligated, now evident I should have worded it differently,so please do not twist my words around, was just making an observaition. Should have worde it differnly. Strange how an observaition can get a response when there wasnone before. Not tring to start a conflict just sspeaking my mind, and my peace.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I did not say any one was obligated, now evident I should have worded it differently,so please do not twist my words around, was just making an observaition. Should have worde it differnly. Strange how an observaition can get a response when there wasnone before. Not tring to start a conflict just sspeaking my mind, and my peace.Any way what is the other type?
LindaSmile
Site Admin

Post by LindaSmile »

This is not a new product announcement, so I'm moving it to the appropriate forum.

Linda
Is this plastic thingy on the counter a model part or can I throw it away?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I think it was the "signed angry" that got peoples dander up.

Got mine going.

Further research; the lacquer in question is indeed a hot paint, but with the undercoat it should come off using Simple Green or Brake-Klean.

Bleach will harden the styrene and make it very, very brittle. Like crumble into little tiny pieces kinda crumble.
Abolish Alliteration
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Simplegreen sounds like the best so far,but do I let the pieces soak? The pieces that have the cracked paint ar both haves of the neck, 1 side of and bottom of secondary hull. think you
ignatz

Post by ignatz »

Depending on the paint, it can take a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. Progressively check on the parts. I'd start with a couple of hours. See if the paint is lifting off. If not, leave it in the solution overnight. Check the next day.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Any cleaner with ammonia should take acrylics off. Windex is good. Simple Green is also good.

Was this in the Finishing forum before?
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Tony Agustin

Post by Tony Agustin »

kylwell wrote:I think it was the "signed angry" that got peoples dander up.

Got mine going.
I agree. What's up with that? I read the original post too and saw that
LTSO gave a great answer with the Easy-off. Not much to add to LTSO's great answer so I didn't bother.

It was kind of dumb for irishtrek to come back and create an 'I-am-so-angry-that-people-didn't-immediately-answer-me' crybaby post.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

TER-OR wrote:Any cleaner with ammonia should take acrylics off. Windex is good. Simple Green is also good.

When I first posted this problem with the paint it put under startrek modeling, then it was put under finishing. the post here was origanaly under just in, I put todays there for 2 reasons: Wasnot sure where to put it and figured it would get a better response there.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Tony Agustin wrote:
kylwell wrote:I think it was the "signed angry" that got peoples dander up.

Got mine going.
I agree. What's up with that? I read the original post too and saw that
LTSO gave a great answer with the Easy-off. Not much to add to LTSO's great answer so I didn't bother.

It was kind of dumb for irishtrek to come back and create an 'I-am-so-angry-that-people-didn't-immediately-answer-me' crybaby post.
Hey dude like said on here earlier Please do not twist my words around!Okay? And ebsides if you looked at all the replies here then you saw that I said I should have worded it differntly.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

irishtrek wrote:
TER-OR wrote:Any cleaner with ammonia should take acrylics off. Windex is good. Simple Green is also good.

When I first posted this problem with the paint it put under startrek modeling, then it was put under finishing. the post here was origanaly under just in, I put todays there for 2 reasons: Wasnot sure where to put it and figured it would get a better response there.
Irish,

Welcome to the forums. If I were you, post these kind of questions here. I'd bet that was what happened. Generally, we try to help you out.

In the Trek forum, unless it's about the newest Trek variant, or what Trek ship you're working on, it's likely going to get buried. Generally, in these forums, the members drawn to the forums, will answer threads they're interested in reading anyway. That is, if I go to the Trek forum, I'm going to answer very Trek-specific posts. The same goes for Finishing.

But, and not to bust your chops, bear in mind a lot of us work a lot of hours, and have maybe two careers. It may take a few days to get everything you need.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Lt. Z0mBe wrote:
irishtrek wrote:

Irish,

Welcome to the forums. If I were you, post these kind of questions here. I'd bet that was what happened. Generally, we try to help you out.

In the Trek forum, unless it's about the newest Trek variant, or what Trek ship you're working on, it's likely going to get buried. Generally, in these forums, the members drawn to the forums, will answer threads they're interested in reading anyway. That is, if I go to the Trek forum, I'm going to answer very Trek-specific posts. The same goes for Finishing.

But, and not to bust your chops, bear in mind a lot of us work a lot of hours, and have maybe two careers. It may take a few days to get everything you need.

I hope this helps.

Hey Kenny, thinks for the not bentout of sshape response. Been here for 2 weeks now and thanks for the welcome to you and Woozle,who welcomed me 2 weeks ago.
Kenny
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

Hey Irish,

I forgot to welcome you to the boards too. So welcome! Nice to see another Irishman floating about.
Let us know what works for you.

Dirk
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

IIRC, Tamiya aerosol cans (not the acrylic bottles) are Acrylic Lacquer paints- and I use those all the time.

As Ignatz mentioned, Castrol Super Clean (CSC)will strip that off no problem. Use gloves and immerse the part in a sealed plastic container like a Sterlite shoe box. An overnight bath is usually enough to strip 2-3 coats of paint.

DO NOT repeat, DO NOT use an aluminum or metal container for CSC. It won't harm plastic- but it WILL attack metal.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Hey Dirk thanks, Icame in kinda quietly.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Irish, take a look around. Hundreds of freinds about all helping one another out. It's very easy for a thread to go unnoticed and burried in the day's chatter.

Give 'em a chance. I'm sure it'll be rewarding for you.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

Hey Bab, been look around these forums for 2years now and this is the first time I recall a lack of response to any quiestion, figured people didnt pay much attention tto the finnishing forum. Any one else ? not that im griping this time just curious is all or can we call a truce?
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

irishtrek wrote:not that im griping this time just curious is all or can we call a truce?
Yeah, totally. I don't think there was a skirmish to begin with. We're all friendly types here.

I can't speak for everyone else but I do tend to frequent the Star Trek Modeling, Media and General SCSM forums and skip the finishing and construction forums. I'll visit those about once or twice a week.
SGluedMyFingers

Post by SGluedMyFingers »

Babaganoosh wrote:We're all friendly types here.
Hello, my name is Cliff and I'm a RageAholic...

We should all be happy that I missed this thread.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

What about straight amoniaor Pinsol? what are the dos and donts? 8)