Sealant over Decals

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

protorob

Sealant over Decals

Post by protorob »

Hello

I am just about done with my PL NX-01. I installed lights and did the aztecing. All the seems have been puttied up, sanded and touched up.
I am now ready to apply the decals for the finish. My question is, after I am done should I use the same testors clear sealer I used after I did the aztecing? Would the sealer damage the decals or the clear plastic portholes? What would you suggest?
This is my first time at lighting a model, using aztecing and puttying seams. So I am attempting to finish a model that I would not be ashamed of posting hear for comments, because after this I have a 31 inch Nautilus with the light set from Voodoo FX and a new compressor and airbrush that my wife bought me. She has even made tiny furniture, rugs and drapes for the interior, I have already cut out the port, and starboard iris shutters for access.

Thanks for you wonderful help!

Rob...
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Rob,

Welcome to the boards. First, before applying the decals, apply a coat of Future floor polish (use the name brand) to the model. Use an airbrush to do this. Don't have an airbrush? Use one of those sponge brushes and apply like in "swaths" as though you were cutting the grass. Don't make passes over previously "half-dried" swaths. Do NOT glob it on; let it dry completely between coats.

As for the Testor's sealant ( I assume you're talking about "Dullcote" lacquer), you going to have to mask all of the clear plastic port holes. Otherwise, the Testor's will frost them. I would mask them with bits of sticky notes, Silly putty, or painter's tape.

Before you apply using the spray can, place it in a sink of hot water. Notice I said "sink" and NOT stove top. Let the can warm, shake it vigorously for 60 seconds and then apply it to the model in light, misting coats. Make sure you hold the model six or eight inches away as you spray.

If you have an airbrush, you might want to decant to lacquer into an airbrush paint bottle.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything else.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.