Oops! (How do I remove this acrylic lacquer paint?)

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

irishtrek

Oops! (How do I remove this acrylic lacquer paint?)

Post by irishtrek »

A few weeks ago I painted my PL refit with a under coat of Krylon short cuts enamel the a top coat of Plasti-kote the, as the paint dried the paint began to crack. looking at the labels last night I relized the Plast-kote si acrilic lacquaer. What do I need to soak the piecesin to remove the pi
aint? Also how long and will the paint float to the surface or settle to the bottom? :oops:
Less Than Super Ostrich

Post by Less Than Super Ostrich »

EZ-off oven cleaner I think is your best bet.
On the sixth day, God created man... primarily out of Aves Apoxie Sculpt and other greeblies found around his hobby room.
TheIrishAvenger
Location: Evans, CO-just south of the festering Greeley Mall gang-wars

Post by TheIrishAvenger »

I think I've heard Easy Off makes a great remover, although I could be wrong. Spray on, let soak, scrub off with a toothbrush or whatever. Do some reading around on the forums, and also check out the technical section where the tips are. I wonder if you didn't let the paint cure long enough and that's why you got the cracking? Or you could try lacquer thinner. If it works on my airbrush, it's bound to work on your kit. Might not hurt to try it first on a spare piece of the kit so you don't wreck it.

My .02

Dirk
"Some say the alien didn't die in the crash. It survived and played poker and drank whiskey with the locals, until the Texas Rangers got wind of it and shot it dead."
duck

Post by duck »

Some hobby shops have a product called Easy Lift Off, ELO. It's by the same company that makes Poly S paiints. It takes paint off. Period!
Burn your dead.
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

I recently soaked a piece of styrene in 99% rubing alcohol for a few hours. The piece had been painted with Plast-Kote laquer about 8-9 years ago Any way I was wondering about denatured alcohol to remove the paint and what would either type of alcohol do to the plastic?
armentage

Post by armentage »

I'd be careful with Easy-Lift Off. It'll seriously damage poly styrene. I used it on old Monogram kits (Go-Bots Leader-1 in particular!) back in the early 90s and it totally killed the plastic. All the smaller edges became very brittle and would snap off.
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Easy-Off Oven Cleaner for sure. It may take several treatments.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere