color of primer?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

color of primer?

Post by Digger1 »

Does the color of the primer coat matter when you apply the top base coat of the acutal paint?

Logically, I wouldn't want to prime the model with krylon red oxide and then paint it white. I just think the red would show through.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Yes, it matters quite a bit. If you want your colors to look brighter, use a white primer. I found this out the hard way the first time I tried to airbrush a brightly colored model. I used my usual grey primer, and no matter how many coats of paint I applied, they came out looking muted. I switched to a white primer, and the colors popped right out.

They say for Alclad metallics you must use a gloss black primer. I don't know why, but I'll take their word for it, if I ever use Alclad.

Flat black or dark grey work well for models which will receive heavy weathering, like Star Wars ships or WWII tanks and planes. It mutes the colors and helps blend them together.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes it matters.

True modelers only use Tamiya Fine Grey Primer.

Really.

As Badwrench says, it depends on what you're doing with it later. Bright gets white, Black for heavy stuff, Gray for everything else. Red is for your car.
Abolish Alliteration
Migmaker

Post by Migmaker »

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:07 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"True modelers only use Tamiya Fine Grey Primer."

laughing all the way to the shop on that statement

Tamiya Fine Grey bah ha ha! ....floquil works just as well, if not better
but for doesn't really matter for the most part, I dont use "model" paints, then again I don't build many plastic kits anymore. I find making my own much more rewarding :)
If you can dream it, I can build it, and probably already have......:) William
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

The colour does matter, unless you want to put a very heavy basecoat over it. Grey primers lend a blue undertone to the colours over it. So lets say you want yellow (The Betty in my case), I found I ended up with a weird greenish colour. Red would have a purple colour etc. I found by spraying a much heavier second coat it did eliminate the problem greatly. In my case it worked out, the yellow was a touch too bright, and the grey primer muted it slightly.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.