Thinning acetone

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

duck

Thinning acetone

Post by duck »

I've been using Zip-Strip acetone for cleaning brushes, some putty work. It softens plastic, so I've been wary about using for cleaning and thinning or thinning applied putty.

Question: Is there a way to thin this stuff so it won't soften plastic?

Thank you for your time;
Duck
Burn your dead.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

nail polish remover
duck

Post by duck »

Babaganoosh
nail polish remover
Isn't that the same thing, just weeker?
Burn your dead.
Johnnycrash

Re: Thinning acetone

Post by Johnnycrash »

duck wrote:Question: Is there a way to thin this stuff so it won't soften plastic?
Answer: No.

But, it's all about quantity. You do not need very much thinner. When I need to thin my putty, I put the putty on sheet of whatever (scrap plastic, glass, cardboard), and then add my thinner (Testors liquid cement for me), mix, and adjust as needed, then apply it to the model. The fact that it will eat or bite into the plastic is good. That ensures that it will not just flake off, giving it a better bond to the model.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Nail polish remover usually contains acetone as it's active ingredient. Slower to eat plastic, but still will eventually.But, I guess if you want a watered down acetone, that's about as close as you're gonna get.

Acetone isn't a very good brush cleaner. It may get the paint out, but it dries out the bristles of brushes big time. This leads to broken and/or stiff bristles and eventually fraying. Use a good turpentine or mineral spirits to clean your brushes with. Takes a little more effort, but the brushes will last much longer. Follow up with an occasional session with some good brush conditioner (available at art supply stores). I've got brushes that are 25 years old, and preach conditioner whenever asked. Brushes are expensive, may as well take care of them.

As for the putty work, if it works why change it? Acetone is safer for thining than MEK by a long shot, and it isn't anywhere near as hot as lacquer thinner. It still aint good for you, though. So, if you can control it, keep using the acetone for thinning the putty, just be aware of it's inherent plastic consuming traits.

Erin
<*>
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

Laquer thinner is the less strong version of acetone.
It is not acetone, but does the same work.
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

I would try to use Methanol, ethanol or isopropanol to thin the putty. Actually I will try it whenI'mback from swimming
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

"Standard" nail polish remover is basically acetone cut with isopropyl alcohol, with a few things thrown into, such as coloring (so you can see better the level inside the bottle), thickening agents (so it doesn't run as freely as plain acetone/isopropyl, meaning less "splashing"), some skin protection stuff (like lanolin, vaseline or similar) etc.

Sooooo, if you cut your straight acetone with isopropyl alcohol, it'll still dilute putty, and, as isopropanol is as volatile as acetone, BOTH will evaporate away, leaving just the dry putty.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

acetone is more volatile than isopropyl alcohol, and will bind water better, but the effect could be similar.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati