new Batmobile-painting suggestions?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

TB2

new Batmobile-painting suggestions?

Post by TB2 »

I just got the new Bandai "Batmobile" on the weekend. Desite being 1/35 scale (I would have preferred 1/24 or 1/25) the detail is teriffic and the fit is outstanding! I'm thinking of painting it a very dark blue, almost black. I've been toying with the idea of preshading it. Think I should?
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

I didn't like it in blue. The HLJ/SM Store pic has it done in blue, and while it *is* an excellent paint job- IMO, it's not true to how the tumbler appears in the film.

I thought Aircraft Interior Black/NATO Black was a good choice for a base, now I'm not so sure. I can't answer the pre-shading issue, I usually wash in oils to pop panels.

BTW, better pics of the forthcoming Bandai Keaton-mobile. Looks awesome.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
TB2

Post by TB2 »

Yeah, it's hard to explain the effect I want to achieve if I do it in blue. Y'know how for example a black aircraft such as a stealth can take on a slight bluish tone when viewed from a distance, due to atmospheric interference such as haze? That's what I'm thinking of. I realize it would pretty much be a non-issue in a scale as (relatively) large as 1/35, but that's how I'd like it to look.
Basically I just don't want the panels to be lost in all this black. Maybe I'll do it in satin black (the tires will be Testor Aircraft Interior Black) and do a subtle dry-brushing to bring out the panels.
Damn, I wish I didn't know now about the upcoming Keaton machine. If it's as good as this one (which I'm sure it will be) I'll have to pick it up to add to my ever-expanding Batmobile collection.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

I just painted mine Testors matte (flat) black, with some gold highlights. Looks really sweet and menacing, all at once. Kinda like me...
Last edited by Stu Pidasso on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
TB2

Post by TB2 »

I ended up doing it in a very dark gray, drybrushed in a lighter shade. Came out nice, IMHO.
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Compared to pics of the real car how does the detail add up? My wife got me one for christmas. Considering my scale of choice is 1/35th this i right up my alley. I plan on doing this EX kit up to match almost every possible detail to the movie vehicle. All the pics of the model i have seen arent close enough to really make out the finer details.
I cant view pics on photobucket so please no linkys there but imageshack seems to work fine if anyone has some good closeups to share.
Now to find a 1/35th cop car to pose the tumbler running over :twisted:
Stock trader "This is a stock exchange, theres no money tou can steal here."

Bane "Really?! Then why are you people here?
TB2

Post by TB2 »

Hi HWR,

If you get access to a computer that allows you to view pics, www.codyscoop.com has some good photos of the Bandai build. As for a cop car, the Revell "American Heroes" (?) kit has a 1/32 Malibu that could be right up your alley. :)
HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

Nope cant see them, no comp around here will allow me to access those sites. Its a govt server and filters out alot of things based on listed content.
could you copy them and email them to me @ tigertank214@hotmail..com? Also thanks for the reminder that revell released that 1/32 copcar.

HWR MKII

Post by HWR MKII »

I found alot of reference pics of the car online and the more i see it the more i really want to tackle this thing like a serious armor model. There are so many things on it that have been overlooked in the finishing dept. The chrome rings on the rear rims, the bolt heads in said rims, all the silver rods on the actuators, the bronze/copper finish on the varoius parts.screen in the intakes, and the plumbing for the exauhst at the rear. im getting really antsy now my wife wont send the model to me i have to wait until january/ feb to build it.
I also want to contact the guys who built the real one and see what a "visual" copy would cost he he. I dont need the thing to jump or have moveable flaps. Stop start and steer are all id care about as long as it looks the part. I would love to drive this thing. My wife said that this car is the only other car besides my demonic looking camaro that she could see me driving.
I also saw in the ref pics the alternator and upper part of the 350 CID motor. You can see it hidden behind the propanr unit for the exauhst in some pics.