Alcad question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

starmanmm

Alcad question

Post by starmanmm »

My understanding is that before it can be sprayed on, it needs to be sprayed onto a black surface.

If the kit is modeled in black, does that still count?
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

Depends on what color Alclad it is. Chrome will need a black background, and I would assume that black plastic is the same as black primer. As for the other colors, I've sprayed several of them without priming and they look and dried just fine.

Erin
<*>
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Be careful spraying Alclad directly onto bare plastic. It's pretty hot stuff, and can damage styrene directly.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
DasPhule

Post by DasPhule »

I've sprayed it onto bare plastic numerous times without problems. If you don't flood it on, it's no different than any other paint. Not saying it won't eat plastic, but if you do things correctly it isn't a problem.

Erin
<*>
starmanmm

Post by starmanmm »

So, I guess that I would be better off to prime it and then paint it black and then paint it with the Alclad?
Jonas Calhoun

Post by Jonas Calhoun »

Yep...but I'm also paranoid. I think the black layer is only necessary for the hi-polish chrome and one other color that I forget. But I never forget the primer.

Dan
"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!" -- Lord John Whorfin
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

The deal with spraying it on the black paint was to get a nice smooth surface. A high-gloss paint will get you the best (smoothest) finish job.

If the plastic is polished smooth, you can get the chrome look. I did that with the internal "nubs" that go inside the domes of the PL TOS Enterprise. Came out looking like chrome, which gave the reflectivity I wanted.

Kev