Soft casting resin

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Hobbit 77

Soft casting resin

Post by Hobbit 77 »

Does any one know if a casting resin exist that cures to a semi-soft finish? A soft plastic like that of plastic armymen are made of.

Troll 7
Umi_Ryuzuki

Post by Umi_Ryuzuki »

BJB makes several different hardness and texture of polyurethane.
I tried out some of their TC - 9460. The difficulty I had was that it pours like molasses or honey once it is mixed up. I had to "inject" the mold using a syringe, and even then it tended to back flow rather than move into the mold. It cures a dark clear amber color.(syrup/dark molasses)

I had a building trellis that was built up of 0.20x0.30 styrene. Once it was molded and cast, the cast piece could be twisted 360 degrees :twisted: and still return back to its orginal shape :| . The problem was, the flash was equally flexible, and was very difficult to remove. :D

Lots of cool product out there. :wink:
'
"I have to go now,... because my life is stupid and leprachans are dorks."
Nyow!
/
=^o^=
modelnutz

Post by modelnutz »

Contact Smooth-On ( 800 ) 762 - 0744 and ask for their teck dept.
I'm sure they have a simple to use low durometer plastic or rubber that will work fine for what you're doing.

Modelnutz 8)
"the name sez it all"
jack wendt

Post by jack wendt »

as a kid, as in the '60's i remember having a toy that you had bottles similar to elmers glue that you poured into molds to make your own toy solders. a few years back, i foumd some similar stuff at TRU and played with it. i was trying to see if it could be a cheap form of resin or even mold material. wasn't worth the trouble, but as of a few years back TRU had the stuff. it is used to make insects etc.