Easiest mold material/casting resins?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

davehal9000

Easiest mold material/casting resins?

Post by davehal9000 »

What's the easiest molding material/casting resin out there? I'd like something that's forgiving if I don't get the ratios exactly right.
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
Schadenfreudian

Post by Schadenfreudian »

I've tried moulding rubber with a 1:1 mix ratio of parts, and it was awful, so I'd stick with a decent silicone rubber, which will require measuring pots for the components.

However, polyurethane resins tend to be mixed in 1:1 ratios, so they're more straightforward to use. Never ever try polyester resin - awful stuff.
'Science is a wonderful thing, I know, but I'd far rather be happy than right, any day.'
'And are you?'
'No. That's where it all falls down, of course.'

Hugging trees everywhere... http://www.greenparty.org.uk/
vaderman

Post by vaderman »

I get my resin casting products from:

www.smoothon.com

The gallon polyurethan is about $68.

For the mold making RTV, you need to decide if you want a 10:1 ratio or a 1:1 ratio.

10:1 is cheaper (but it is still expensive) than 1:1. The last batch of RTV I got was 1 Gallon supply 10:1 ratio. This requires a digital scale for accurate measurement. The next time I get RTV I am going to get Smoothon's Oomoo 25. It is 1:1 and is only $32 more than the 10:1 I got, but there will be les error in ratio calculation.

For the resin, I use Smooth Cast 310. Drys white, hard resin. If mixed right, usually no bubbles. I really like this stuff.

Hope that helps.

Scott
Do or Do Not....There is No Try!

Keeping Garage Kits Alive!
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

The Smooth-On stuff is what is used here at BLAP! Models. The 10:1 ratio rubbers are far more durable so will last for far more castings the then the 1:1 ratio stuff.

The 10:1 ratio rubber is pretty forgiving too. I measure by volume (I add about 10% extra catalyst) and get great molds.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
chasd25

Post by chasd25 »

Blappy wrote:
The 10:1 ratio rubber is pretty forgiving too. I measure by volume (I add about 10% extra catalyst) and get great molds.
Yeah, I always add a bit extra catalyst. The only time I ran into trouble is when I didn't add enough!!!!

I use a postal scale (cost me about $25) for measuring out the silicon.

Charlie
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

For home use, without pressure pots etc, I prefer the 1:1.
Yeah, they're not quite as strong but they're much more forgiving.

I like the SC321 from Smooth-on. You get decent setup time. With the very slow setup resins I found they're VERY finicky and vunerable to local concentration of the two parts.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati