fill it with styrene or putty?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Bomech1

fill it with styrene or putty?

Post by Bomech1 »

I have a panel on my ship that didn't line upright. now I have a dent about 3/16 deep and 1/2" long. Should I fill with styrene and skim with putty or just fill with putty? Because of the size of dent I'm not sure. What do yall think?
Brian
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Epoxy putty, like Aves or Bondo. Solvent based putty like Bondo spot filler or Squadron will shrink and crack over that area. Which is ok, it just means repeated applications. But you can get it all in one go with an epoxy putty. Filling a small dent like this with styrene will just add to the work.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If you've got the spare plastic, bulk fill with it and touch up with Aves (or simular). If you've got putty to spare, jest filler'up.

Aves, it's what's for dinner.
Abolish Alliteration
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Just ordered some from ssm store, can't wait to try this stuff.
Brian
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Mr. Badwrench wrote:Epoxy putty, like Aves or Bondo. Solvent based putty like Bondo spot filler or Squadron will shrink and crack over that area. Which is ok, it just means repeated applications. But you can get it all in one go with an epoxy putty. Filling a small dent like this with styrene will just add to the work.
Just to clarify, Aves and Bondo are different types of Epoxy putties. Aves is a blessed, non-toxic material suitable for just about everything, including worship.

I concur with kylwell. Fill with some sheet and round out the area with a little Aves on top.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

And remember, measure twice, then cut more than you need.
Abolish Alliteration
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Thanks for the advise and yes kylwell I measured twice and cut more than I needed but the spot that sucked in I was unable to reenforce. Just waiting for my aves supply to arrive. Thanks again
Brian
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

The mail's here! The mail's here! just got my aves! But wait the lid on part A isn't screwed on properly!? Should I open the plastic and ck the contents? Or should I ask online - So has anybody had this problem or should I open it and hope for the best?
Brian

purchase and shipping very good Thank you.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

If it tastes buttery it's no good.

:twisted:

heh, no don't taste it. Probably won't be an issue.
Abolish Alliteration
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Tastes like chicken! I didn't taste it and thanks for the input
Brian Can't wait to try this stuff!
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

Just to clarify, Aves and Bondo are different types of Epoxy putties.

Bondo autobody filler isn't an epoxy putty at all. It's a mix of polyester resin, styrene esters and inert fillers. It is a good filler, and cheaper than many others, but the downside to it being polyester based is that it stinks to high heavens.

For a depression like you describe, though, I'd superglue a piece of styrene in place and sand flush.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Owen E Oulton wrote:Just to clarify, Aves and Bondo are different types of Epoxy putties.

Bondo autobody filler isn't an epoxy putty at all. It's a mix of polyester resin, styrene esters and inert fillers. It is a good filler, and cheaper than many others, but the downside to it being polyester based is that it stinks to high heavens.

For a depression like you describe, though, I'd superglue a piece of styrene in place and sand flush.
Bondo also makes an epoxy putty. ;) I just wanted to point out the Bondo is a little different. It's thinner. I'm not talking about the stuff in the can with catalyst, by the way.

Aves heals all wounds, so say we all. [-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
DX-SFX

Post by DX-SFX »

I agree with Owen. Superglue in a plastic plug and fill the edges with superglue. Use a spray accelerator if you have to. Sand it within an hour or so and it sands at the same rate as the surrounding plastic to give a near pefect finish. Quickest filler known to man (at least on small jobs). You can have a seam done in less than two minutes.