has anyone used plumbers putty???

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

david bailey

has anyone used plumbers putty???

Post by david bailey »

has anyone used this stuff for anything?????someone gave me two tubes of this stuff in the pint size containers never used it before was wondering if its use ful for modeling purposes??? again its called plumbers putty/whats it like to work with and is good for much?
david bailey
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

I wouldn't use plumber's putty for anything modeling. It has way too much give to it to be an effective joining adhesive.
Joseph C. Brown

Post by Joseph C. Brown »

Babaganoosh wrote:I wouldn't use plumber's putty for anything modeling. It has way too much give to it to be an effective joining adhesive.
Alfred does -- or did. But, there some details to that:
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/projects/aw_sculpt.htm
________
Joe Brown
Andrew Gorman

Post by Andrew Gorman »

I'm partial to epoxy gas tank patch myself, but plumbers epoxy should be more or less the same thing. Cheap, available at any wide spot in the road, even in Redneckistan, and easy to work if you lick your fingers first. It does set rock hard, so shape it as best you can during the 5 minutes it's workable, and it does not stick to styrene very well.
Andrew
davehal9000

Post by davehal9000 »

We're talking two different things here.

To a real plumber, at least here in the states, plumber's putty is used to seal sink drains, among other things. It never really hardens, and couldn't be used for much of anything modeling related, except maybe as a holder for toothpicks holding parts for painting.

The other type, often sold in the plumbing section of Home Depot or any other hardware store, is a two part epoxy. It comes in a plastic tube, with one "chemical" wrapped around the other. You knead the two together and mold it into whatever shape you want. It hardens like steel. You could do quite a bit with it if you had the talent. I don't.
Warned you we did, but listen you did not! Now screwed we all will be!

Yoda,
The Lost Hope

What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon????

"Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else should get to have it."

Penn Jillette
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

I've used it before, and the two-part stuff works, but the problem is its setup time and hardness. It will be hard as steel. Seriously. It will dull your files, and strip sandpaper as you work it.

That was all before I became a believer in Aves. Aves, is cheaper than plumbers' putty - it's ten bucks a pound - has a longer working life, is water-soluble, and it is roughly the same hardness as styrene.

Check out out this thread:

http://www.starshipmodeler.net/cgi-bin/ ... hp?t=28859

It will answer all your questions about Aves. Praise be to Aves. Amen.

[-o<

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
david bailey

thanks for the info on plumbers putty

Post by david bailey »

while it was given two me thouhgt i would try it out anyway and see what the results were. needing something to scuplt with while it may not be the best stuff in the world its free.have read on this forum about putties and uses just looking for more input on uses and found afew articles on scuplting.thanks
david bailey
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Use it to thicken or reinforce things, but for real sculpting etc. I'd use the Aves or similar.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati