Spray Paint Fuzz?

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

joey_d1119

Spray Paint Fuzz?

Post by joey_d1119 »

Sometimes when I spray paint models I get fuzzy stuff all over the model. Not all the time, but what is it? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Joey
"I am a gazelle, watch me plunge in ratings" - Captain Archer, Stardate: it never should have happened.
Shinnentai

Post by Shinnentai »

Two thoughts:

You might be holding the airbrush or spraycan too far from the model. This can result in paint particles drying before they land, lending a dusty or grainy texture to the finish. How far is too far might also be affected by temperature & humidity. In my experience you don't usually want to hold the sprayer more than a foot away from the subject.

Do you cover the painted part after spraying? If the part is left to dry out in the open, dust can settle on the wet paint and become a permanent part of the finish. Solution there is to place a box or bin upside down over the part while it's drying.

Hope this helps.
"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized."
-Ly Tin Wheedle
Astro-Man

Post by Astro-Man »

I get this problem sometimes from using Model Master rattle can spray paints. Being in FL the humidty wreaks havock on paint but what I get is lumpy sometimes bubbly finishes. Oh, this drives me up a wall! :x Even after vigorusly shaking the can and warming it up in a bolw of warm water I still get this hang up! Krylon paints, on the other hand, really don't do this and usualy dry smooth and even; just wish they made more colors.
"We'll drink as much as we want! We're FREAKS!"
-Bearded Lady

"Okay lady, do I come to where you work and jump on the bed?"
-POR-EEF salesman to nosy customer
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

I've experienced this thing sometimes too.

To get rid of it, whe it happens I "sand" the model with "steel wool" or whatever it is called in english...