spray paint, what went wrong?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

spray paint, what went wrong?

Post by Digger1 »

Yesterday, I sprayed a model with American Accents satin finish but it didn't dry properly. I made darn sure the humidity was really low. In fact, the RH was about 45% here. This was yesterday afternoon. Today, I checked it and it was still still tacky.

It's soaking in Easy-Off right now.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Did you shake it well? I mean really well. Warming the can in warm water can help.
Abolish Alliteration
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Yup. Shook it pretty well. All the way home from the store and when I got back here 2 minutes right-side up and 2 minutes upside down.

Didn't let is soak, though.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Did you use a primer coat first? Or how about washing the model? If it's a resin kit, it might not be the paint that isn't drying, the mold release might be leaching through. In either case, try painting it with a good primer before you spray on the base color again.
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Same thing happened to a lesser degree today.

The humidity was virtually non-existent at 37%. I primed the lower saucer half of the refit and the lower sensor dome. I shook the primer which I've used a dozen times before with no problem whatsoever, in fact, it dried every other time to a very smooth, arid surface within minutes.

This time, I sprayed like I've done in the past, nothing unusual at all and the primer is still a little tacky 4 hours later.

For the record, I shake for about 3 minutes. I don't bother soaking the can in warm water unless it's a gloss coat.

I guess I'll keep it in front of the fan overnight and see what happens.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

I've had problems with using non-model specific spray bombs. And the most common problem I've had is lack of drying. Don't know what it is, never went into depth to figure it out but I've tried several (3) primers and had non-satisfactory results every other time. Use it one day it's fine, the next it's not drying and very thick.

Gave up and started using Gunze and Tamiya primers.
Abolish Alliteration
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Kylwell,

What brands are you using?

I've had good results with Krylon Primer and their colors.

I use alot of Pewter Grey for Starfleet Ships and I've been using a mix of greens for Klingon and Alien ships with no problems.

I do the shake thing and the water thing.
"The" Bluesman formerly known as The Bluesman
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Krylon plastic primer, Krylon metal primer, and I canna remember the third.

I'd just rather not have an issue. Never had a problem with Tamiya or Gunze.
Abolish Alliteration