Scale Conversion

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Macdaddy4738

Scale Conversion

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

im building a small church for a war game i play..

im thinking 30X20 feet sounds right..8 or 10 feet tall (what would you say sounds best??)

anyways i converted the 30 feet to 1/100 scale and its coming up as 3.6 inches. Does this sound right? It seems too small to me when comparing with the figures.

im thinking to build the basic frame out of balsa wood, then layer filler over the wood, and press in Kitty litter to resemble field stone (i think this would be correct for a World War 2 era church in a small Normandy Village..). Then i was going to fill some more to get rid of the gaps inbetween...Does this sound like a good method? I was thinking i could make the stuff outta plaster, but it would be heavy..and probably not so strong either..

at this scale this makes detailing almost impossible from what i can tell...
Schadenfreudian

Post by Schadenfreudian »

30 x 12 = 360 inches.

Divide it by 100 and, yes, it gives 3.6".

Don't think about numbers first, just go with what looks right with your figures (assuming they are 1/100 scale - are you sure they aren't 1/72?) - though a 30' church does sound very small.
'Science is a wonderful thing, I know, but I'd far rather be happy than right, any day.'
'And are you?'
'No. That's where it all falls down, of course.'

Hugging trees everywhere... http://www.greenparty.org.uk/
TimeScape

Post by TimeScape »

Your conversions are correct. However, I think the size of the church is rather small (even for a small country church). I would at least double all the measurements you have quoted. Most churches of the would have had a steeple where a bell would be housed and a cross mounted.

Also, take a drive around the countryside and look at small country churches. While they are more modern than the era you are looking at, most of them would be older and built along more traditional lines rather than those in larger cities.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.... it wastes your time and annoys the pig.
Schadenfreudian

Post by Schadenfreudian »

I agree with Timescape, I think your planned dimensions are too small. You can do a google search for images (in my case, simply 'French church').

For example, here is a little French church:
http://www.wgan.com/upload/french_church.jpg

Here, oddly enough, is a wargamer's model:
http://www.wargamesdirectory.com/html/g ... e=7&ID=208

However, if you want a really old looking, and fairly simple, church, I suggest googling 'Norman church' - many will actually be English, but for the period, it scarcely matters.

Here's a classic French example:
http://user.itl.net/~coldfish/GR22/part3.html

And finally, also try 'Normandy church', e.g.:
http://www.genealogie.org/famille/cazeau/page9.htm
'Science is a wonderful thing, I know, but I'd far rather be happy than right, any day.'
'And are you?'
'No. That's where it all falls down, of course.'

Hugging trees everywhere... http://www.greenparty.org.uk/
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

hm...

60X40 then? does that sound better?

yea the figures are 1/100. They made them such in odd scale in hopes that you would buy from ONLY them
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

The easy way to convert dimensions to scale dimensions is to first convert scale into percentage, and then multiply the dimensions of the real life subject by the percentages.

For example:

1/25 scale is the same thing as "1 divided by 25" which equals 4 percent (.04)

Let's say we have an real life aircraft with a wingspan of 40 feet, and a length of 50 feet. To get the dimensions of a 1/25 scale model, do the following math:

50 feet x .04 = 2 feet

40 feet x .04 = 1.6 feet

Your 1/25 model is four percent the size of the real life subject, and would have a wingspan of 1.6 feet, and a length of 2.0 feet.

I hope this helps.

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Here's some church plans.

GOSHAVANK, which is here.

Another Armenian church
Abolish Alliteration
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

those plans are awesome!

For the scale deal...i just downloaded a conversion calculator that was posted here a few weeks ago..

the problem im having is the outside texture. I COULD make the thing outta plaster then carve the detail in, but id much rather make it out of Balsa, i have alot more control that way...

i wouldnt be sure how to make brick detail in balsa...i think i could fill the outside with filler, then carve the bricks into the filler...sounds good?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Micromark to the rescue. Try thier Random Stone textured paper. You might think it's just printed paper but it's got a texture to it that looks real. Adhesive backed, ready to use. I've got some of thier brick paper for soem projects and it looks great (and to scale). Hit it with some matte finish and weather it a bit and bamf! cool stone or brick.
Abolish Alliteration
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

hm...its in HO...

does it look close enough to 1/100 or not? Some HO stuff is way off while some is damn close!

EDIT**

Just read...can I weather it with a paint brush and regular dry brush or not? It says not to but drybrushing cant hurt it much
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Yes, I've seen it weathered. Washed, dry-brushed, etc. Plan on it with mine. The paper is sealed with a thick clear coat. Don't know how it reacts to enamels but acylics don't bother it.
Abolish Alliteration
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

kylwell wrote:Yes, I've seen it weathered. Washed, dry-brushed, etc. Plan on it with mine. The paper is sealed with a thick clear coat. Don't know how it reacts to enamels but acylics don't bother it.
nice! Now i need to order some...hmm

no credit card so thats a problem...

it says to seal the wood so the paper adheres better...could i seal the Balsa with Dullcoat or clearcoat? which is better?
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Things stick better to clear coat.

And you can order via check....I don't know the process but thier catalog says it's ok.
Abolish Alliteration
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

ive drawn myself up some plans...

now if i can just find hinges in HO scale :twisted: :twisted:
Macdaddy4738

Post by Macdaddy4738 »

quick question...

does that sticky paper stuff cut eaisly??
schweinhund227

Post by schweinhund227 »

I found this little Scale calculator for you
you can feed it measurements form the 1:1 scale plans or other scales and convert to any size / scale you need pretty cool little program inches or Cm

go here..

http://www.mksmc.co.uk/hintsandtips/sca ... ulator.htm

I don't know if anyone posted it before.... hope it helps with future projects