Does easy-off harm clear parts?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Jubal

Does easy-off harm clear parts?

Post by Jubal »

I want to strip the paint off a model that has some clear parts. I'v heard Easy-off works, but I'm wondering if it damages clear plastic (Clouding, etc.).
Thanks for any input you can give me.

-Jubal
"If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. "
Johnnycrash

Post by Johnnycrash »

I have used, and I swear by, Easy Off. I have never had a problem with it on clear parts. But it is always a good idea to test it, if you can.
John Fleming
I know that's not what the instructions say, but the kit's wrong anyway.
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

When in doubt, spray the tree/sprue and see what happens.

If the paint in question is acrylic, use alcohol.
Jubal

Post by Jubal »

Thanks. Between the PL nx-01 and refit, I should have plenty of clear sprue to test!

-Jubal
"If there's no great glorious end to all this, if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do. 'Cause that's all there is. What we do. Now. Today. "
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

An alternative to Easy-Off is model airplane fuel. The fuel strips off paint easier and is less abrasive. Just make sure to use it in a well ventillated space.
Sci Fi Smoker

Post by Sci Fi Smoker »

I swear by Castrol Super Clean Degreaser. IMO, better than Easy Off and no nasty fumes. Castrol is super friendly to clear parts, too.
A free man can never be defeated, he can only be killed.
Bomech1

Post by Bomech1 »

Just tried some easy-off on an old sabre jet with about 8 coats of paint, worked great. I used an old baking tray to hold the parts. you know the cheap ones made out of aluminum. The easy-off ate the tray but the model is okie-dokie :shock:
Brian