Testors Glue in Blue+Masking Tape= Welding appearance.

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

CB2001

Testors Glue in Blue+Masking Tape= Welding appearance.

Post by CB2001 »

For one of my models, I was trying to find a way to give a look that several parts (which are in one piece) appear model as if they were "welded" on without actually having to cut and melt the plastic. I think I've come up with a solution. I used Testor's model glue in the blue tube and some masking tape. The first thing I did was that I used a couple of pieces of masking tape to give me a straight line that I could follow. I then applied the Testor's glue along that path. Instead of leaving the mask there until the glue dried, I removed the pieces of masking tape by pulling them in one direction the moment I finished applying the glue. After the first apply was dried, I reapplyed the masking tape and then applied a second "coat" on top of the first coated line. And I removed the tape again after the application of the second "coat". I tried to give it a good "clean weld" look, which is why I used the masking tape. However, if you want a sloppy welding appearance, then just do it without the masking tape.

I'm not sure if this is a useful tip or not. Has anyone else tried using Testor's Glue in the blue tube to make that "welded" look?
Last edited by CB2001 on Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Badwrench

Post by Mr. Badwrench »

Not yet, but I will. Thanks for the tip!
I speak of the pompatous of plastic.
CB2001

Post by CB2001 »

Hey, let me know if this tip has worked for anyone.
Owen E Oulton

Post by Owen E Oulton »

This is a risky procedure. One of the problems with tube glues is that they will continue to dissolve the plastic when used in thick applications such as this. They harden from the outside in and trap the solvents under the hardened top layer. People have had sinkholes appear in parts years after a heavy application of tube glue.

There are other ways to produce a welded bead effect, some just as simple as this. F'rinstance, use thinned solvent-based putty such as Squadron Green exactly the way you use the glue. You can also lay out a thin bead of epoxy putty and texture it once it begins to stiffen up. One advanced technique is to glue down a strip pf styrene or a piece of styrene rod/stretched sprue and texture it with a hot knife/soldering iron.

Throw that tube glue in the garbage. It's a very poor substitute for reall modelling glues, and as explained above can damage your model in the long term.
...Only the dead dreams of a cold war kid...
Quintillus

Post by Quintillus »

Check out this Fine Scale Modeler article about creating weld seams.

http://www.finescale.com/fsm/objects/pd ... dseams.pdf