Novice lighting question

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

dark helmet

Novice lighting question

Post by dark helmet »

I've read enough on this site and elsewhere to try to light my Darth Vader's TIE. I plan on using LEDs and have the routing and everything else figured out. My question is how do you mount the LEDs? I plan on placing one behind the cockpit wall, but don't know how to attach it. Does it just lay back there or would you try to silicone it to the wall? I've never lit anything before, so any help would be appreciated.
Impressive.... most impressive
Marcal

Post by Marcal »

I do it with 5 min epoxy glue. Just leave the "legs" of the LEDs a bit long, bend them in the angle you need and fix the LED with the glue... no further problem.

Good Luck
plasmahal

Post by plasmahal »

I havent done many lighting jobs yet but i use right angle styrene if the space in the model is suffcient.

cut a piece off a few mm's wider than the the led your using and glue the the piece (or led mount as i call it), into the model.

Depending on access, drill the required size hole in the mount either before or after gluing into model and then glue the led into mount (i find a little CA does the trick).

To a certain degree and if you make the mounting hole for the led a little bigger, you can angle the led as required.

not every model has the room to use this way of mounting but have a go it you want.
IMPROVISE, ADAPT AND OVERCOME.....WORKS FOR MODELLING TOO.....