Humidity and dew point

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Digger1

Humidity and dew point

Post by Digger1 »

Does the dew point affect spray paint the same as humidity does?

Right now in Augusta, the dew point is at 86º and the relative humidity is 65% which is just under the upper limit for optimal spray painting conditions.

The higher the dew point, the more uncomfortable it is outside, all sticky and makes your skin all clamy.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

A good moisture trap is your freind.

Water through the compressor will have a different dew point, as it is compresed and heated.

But humidity is humidity - more water in the air...
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
Digger1

Post by Digger1 »

Spray paint...rattle can.

Can't afford (or figure out) an airbrush right now.
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

Ah. You'll have to pick your days wisely. Painting above the dew point will mean less condensation. Or, if you have a garage you might get away with painting early in the morning while it's still cool but dry in the garage.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
scanam2005

Post by scanam2005 »

The dew point definitely affects the performance of spray cans. On hot humid days, I avoid spraying as much as possible and wait for drier weather. If parts really need to sprayed I will do it indoors where it is air conditioned. I will open the windows for a few minutes after spraying to let out some of the fumes. The parts, however, are drying in the airconditioned room where the humidity is reasonable.