Removing Chrome Plating

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

tonyG2
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning....

Post by tonyG2 »

Thanks for all the tips guys.

The modelstrip paste does wonders for decades old paint but wouldn't touch the chrome (not PL by the way - its the MPC Pilgrim Observer...)

I'll try the local stores for the windex equivalent and see what happens....
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage
to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill today because they got on my nerves.

And help me to remember when I'm having a bad day and it seems that people are trying to wind me up, it takes 42 muscles to frown, 28 to smile
and only 4 to extend my arm and smack someone in the mouth!
Padawan v 2.5

Post by Padawan v 2.5 »

Remember, let it soak about twenty-four hours (sorry, I don't know the metric time conversion charts) and stir or shake the parts occasionaly.

K
davidlgreen

greased lightning

Post by davidlgreen »

greased lightning takes chrome off in about 10 minutes, it also is good for cleaning acrylic paint out ye airebrushe.
modeler1964

Post by modeler1964 »

Alas dear fellow modeler let me sing the praises of Superclean available at Wal Mart for 5 USD a gallon! Have a peek at the vid I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WknPAl1NOA4
Pandaphil

Post by Pandaphil »

Another vote for plain ol oven cleaner. I spritzed some Easy Off on the crome parts of my PL D-7 and the chrome flaked right off after a few minutes. Just do it in the sink and scrub carefully with an old toothbrush.
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" -Sherlock Holmes
davidlgreen

Post by davidlgreen »

Greased Lightning cleaner. takes about 10 min. also great for cleaning airbrushes etc.
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

Padawan v 2.5 wrote:Remember, let it soak about twenty-four hours (sorry, I don't know the metric time conversion charts) and stir or shake the parts occasionaly.

K

Twenty-four hours (metric) turn out to be about one (imperial) day.

Glad to help.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.