Airbrushing Delta Ceramcoat acrylics...

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Lt. Z0mBe

Airbrushing Delta Ceramcoat acrylics...

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Wise and Sagely Scale Modelers,

I have a few of the Delta Ceramcoat paints from Wal-Mart. I was wondering if anyone has tried to airbrush these cheap acrylic paints. I'm trying to avoid disassembling my Paasche VL, and degunking it, if things would go badly.

For the record, I've got the needle and nozzle for thick liquids, but I didn't know if pigment size would be the issue here, since I can thin as much as needed.

I think I can airbrush them, but again, I don't know for sure.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Onward, proud eagle, to thee the cloud must yield.
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

Yesterday I tried to spray Apple Barrel craft acrylic. From what I've read here those are supposed to be better than Delta. Well, it sucked. Spit out so bad, crappy coverage. I'm sticking with Tamiya.
Stand back, I don't know how big this thing gets.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

big-dog wrote:Yesterday I tried to spray Apple Barrel craft acrylic. From what I've read here those are supposed to be better than Delta. Well, it sucked. Spit out so bad, crappy coverage. I'm sticking with Tamiya.
How did you thin them? Did you switch needles and nozzles? What kind of airbrush?

Thanks for the opinion, by the way. :)

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Scott Hasty

Post by Scott Hasty »

My understanding is the the pigments used in these paints are very course and generally unsuitable for airbrushing. If anyone has had sucess, I believe it has more to do with luck than anything else.

If you want something economical, try the Liquitex product line. They are thinned with water and super to use. They aren't 44 cents [actually around $2.50 for, I think, 2 oz], but you get what you pay for.

Actually, I've just discovered Tamiya's paint line and love them! You don't get as much, but for $1.90 they go a long way, especially in 1/72 scale!

Scottie
I am fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

Scott Hasty wrote:My understanding is the the pigments used in these paints are very course and generally unsuitable for airbrushing. If anyone has had sucess, I believe it has more to do with luck than anything else.

If you want something economical, try the Liquitex product line. They are thinned with water and super to use. They aren't 44 cents [actually around $2.50 for, I think, 2 oz], but you get what you pay for.

Actually, I've just discovered Tamiya's paint line and love them! You don't get as much, but for $1.90 they go a long way, especially in 1/72 scale!

Scottie
Maybe I should just experiment with the stuff. Hmm...maybe I'll try tonight. :)

I appreciate the advice, though. Keep it coming. :)

Kenny

www.sigmalabsinc.com

Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

The real trick with any of those "cheap" acrylics is thinning. Sometimes water works, sometimes not. I've had acylics curdle with water, alcohol, distilled water, soap (was desperate), & combinations of the above. Then there's the ratio, too thin and you never get any pigment, too thick and the brush cloggs and spatters.

For me, it's too much of a hassle. It's why I use Tamiya & Gunze Sangyo.
Abolish Alliteration
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I thinned with isopropyl alcohol. Seemed to spray out in little spatters rather than a clean line. I used a Badger 350, which'll spray just about anything. Even Testors Acryl aint bad. Plus, it took forever to clean that gunk out of the brush.
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Sounds like it might have curddled it, somewhat common in craft acrylics. Try some distilled water (or even tap water). You may need to thin it in another bottle and shake very well to get an even dispersion.
Abolish Alliteration
TER-OR
Site Admin
Location: Conjugate imprecision of time negates absolute determination of location.

Post by TER-OR »

I did test some of these at my Dad's over Christmas. Thinned with just a bit of water they sprayed really very well through his brand new Badger 360. I was actually pretty impressed.

BUT, keep a soft brush and little cup of water nearby to clear the needle occasionally. You'll see what I mean.
Raised by wolves, tamed by nuns, padded for your protection.

Terry Miesle
Never trust anyone who says they don't have a hobby.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati
big-dog

Post by big-dog »

I shall try thinning with water, be nice to have a cheap paint for priming, just the undercoating, think I'll stick with Tamiya for top coating. Then Future of course. Thanks for the info.
joewhite

Post by joewhite »

I have had lots of luck with Delta Ceramcoat. Check out PAGE 4 of my website for some pics of some of the results I have had. The trick to using Delta paints is Windex. Don't bother thinning by parts, just thin until you get the consistency of milk. I pullback on the needle of my 155 Anthem before I spray and once every couple of minutes to prevent normal acrylic clog-ups, but have not had any sputtering at all...just a nice, even coat.

I used them since the nearest hobby shop is an hour away and does not carry acrylics. I wanted to avoid ordering $3, 1 ounce jars and risk not getting the right color. Try em out, they work well if you thin em right.
Lt. Z0mBe

Post by Lt. Z0mBe »

WOW!

Thanks, Joe! I didn't get to experiment with the paints like I'd hoped. Man, a sci-fi guy could do all his paintin' with them there cheap paints. :shock:

Thanks for the information.

Z0mBe

www.sigmalabsinc.com

joewhite

Post by joewhite »

Thanks man! I forgot to mention one thing. The only potential drawback I could think of when using Delta paints is that I usually always get a flat to satin finish. It's not a bad thing for me since I like to add ground pastel chalks for weathering on a flat surface rather than a glossy then seal with your clear. This might be a problem for some people though. I'm starting to experiment more with Tamiya and other quality paints, but I will still use Delta Ceramcoat for lots of things.

Joe
Gigan

Post by Gigan »

Hey all, I worked as a production artist for a store prop co. and I airbrushed just about everything out of a pasche vl 3 airbrush. Including delta creama coat paint with no probs. as long as they are water based thin
with water and strain them before you put it in your paint jar using a lil plastic mesh strainer to catch any and all paint boogers. I've never had probs with spatter in my 5 years working with these types of paints. Good luck! :P
jafo

Post by jafo »

Ive been using Delta for a few models now and its hit and miss with
the paasche H and the same for the badger 360. i did have much better luck thinning with windshield washer fluid.(i use this to thin tamiya paint with great sucess).