removing electrolplate from parts

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

jpolacchi

removing electrolplate from parts

Post by jpolacchi »

Anyone know how to strip the electroplated chrome off of kit parts? A long time ago I seem to remember reading that if you soak the parts in bleach that it strips the plating off. Is that the best way or is there another way?
Saturn

Re: removing electrolplate from parts

Post by Saturn »

Castrol Super Clean automotive degreaser is what I used. But Castrol divested and I think it's just called SuperClean now. Reportedly, the formula is not the same. CSC was pretty caustic stuff. (it will eat almuminum, but will not damage styrene) CSC was the only thing that could take chrome *and* the cream yellow undercoat that Tamiya kits had.

Lye-based Oven Cleaner works in a pinch- but usually takes longer.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Sluis Van Shipyards

Post by Sluis Van Shipyards »

I haven't tried it, but I remember someone saying Coke will strip chrome off.
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Sluis Van Shipyards wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:09 pm I haven't tried it, but I remember someone saying Coke will strip chrome off.
Yes it does, but it doesn't always remove the undercoat. It's an overnight job, but a lot less toxic than almost anything else. Use regular Coke - none of that diet, low or zero calorie swill - I've found they just don't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-cNTb_KeCY
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

ScaleCoat Paint Remover will remove the aluminum layer and the clear conductive layer under the aluminum.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Really? And it doesn't mess up the plastic parts? I just have a bunch of chrome parts I wants to strip. I think it be better than just painting over the chrome I.M.O. Where can I find it? So far I'm not really getting any hits on who has it?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

Rocketeer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:50 pm ScaleCoat Paint Remover will remove the aluminum layer and the clear conductive layer under the aluminum.
Except that ScaleCoat went out of business at the beginning of the year. Model railroaders have been moaning about it for months.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Would the Revell paint stripper work just as good? Y/N?
Wug

Post by Wug »

I'm with Saturn. If you want to remove everything down to the bare plastic. SuperClean is the way to go. Bleach will remove the plating and probably leave the undercoat, if there is any, on the part.
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Okay, so pass on the Reveal paint stripper? It's not like you get a lot of it anyway. It's maybe a 1oz. bottle? I should be able to find the Super Clean at Ace Hardware.
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

I used brake fluid. Let it soak for several days and then brush the loose chrome with a toothbrush. Even so it took me several soakings and brushings and working with a toothpick to remove all of it.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Brake fluid is super caustic. I know others who use it as a paint stripper. Never thought it would remove electroplating.