Vinyl mask issues

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

holt35

Vinyl mask issues

Post by holt35 »

Hopefully someone here can help me out with an answer to this issue. I'm currently working on a 1/1000 scale Enterprise-D model and I'm using vinyl masks of the Aztec pattern, I'm doing a four-color paint job and just added the second color to the kit. The problem is that now the paint has dried, and the vinyl masks the peeling up on the edges and won't stick back down for long and they need to still be there so I can start adding tape to the kit and then add the final color. Has anyone ever run into this issue before? I'm thinking about trying Elmer's glue or rubber cement in an attempt to get them to lay down but I'm not sure if this will damage the paint. I'm doing a test with Elmer's but that test strip already has a clear coat and I'd be doing this to un-cleared paint. Any help would be appreciated!
Mr. E Man

Re: Vinyl mask issues

Post by Mr. E Man »

Heat and relative humidity can have an effect on how the vinyl masks adhere to the surface. What are your conditions like?

E
holt35

Post by holt35 »

Well, the kit is in the basement where I work right now, I do have a dehumidifier down there. Conditions here have been rainy and humid I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure the masks are pulling up because of the amount of paint I put on, I'm going from a darker color to a lighter one and I put more paint on the top then the bottom of the model which seems to be having most of the issues.

I tested Elmer's on a paint templet I had, and it seems to come off with no issues and leave nothing on them so I'm probably going to add a very thin layer where the mask are coming up but I'm going to pick up some rubber cement to as I feel that may be easier to rub off.
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

holt35 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:17 ambut I'm going to pick up some rubber cement to as I feel that may be easier to rub off.
Rubber cement has a rather different chemical for its solvent from what Elmers glue uses, be careful with how it interacts with the paint layer being covered.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
holt35

Post by holt35 »

southwestforests wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:22 am
holt35 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:17 ambut I'm going to pick up some rubber cement to as I feel that may be easier to rub off.
Rubber cement has a rather different chemical for its solvent from what Elmers glue uses, be careful with how it interacts with the paint layer being covered.
Thanks for the heads up on the rubber cement. I think I'm just going to play it safe and pick up another set of templets from Lou Dalmaso. I hate to buy another set, but I've got so much money into this kit, and I've already had to strip it down and repaint it once already.