Thoughts on Battery operated airbrushes?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Thewrathofodysseus

Thoughts on Battery operated airbrushes?

Post by Thewrathofodysseus »

I keep seeing ads pop up for these. Does anyone here use these? Are they effective? Pros? Cons?
Aut viam invenium aut facium
Mr. E Man

Re: Thoughts on Battery operated airbrushes?

Post by Mr. E Man »

I have two of them and they work great!
One has the airbrush mounted to the compressor as a hand grip, the other has the compressor separate with a hose to the airbrush. I use the handheld compressor one strictly with acrylics, with the other one having an in-line moisture trap that I use for spraying acrylics, enamels, and lacquers. They both have a built-in rechargeable battery with a micro USB charge port. They advertise a 45-minute or more use per charge, but I have yet to run out of power while spraying.

They're a great addition to my large, standalone compressor - and MUCH quieter! I can't believe that no one came up with these years ago!

E
southwestforests

Post by southwestforests »

Huh, I hadn't even considered that such a thing would exist.

I dunno, perhaps it wasn't done years ago because success required the battery technology of right now?
Instead of the brick-like NiCad battery packs my 1980s RC cars employed.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
Kekker

Post by Kekker »

Mr. E Man wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:10 pm I have two of them and they work great!
One has the airbrush mounted to the compressor as a hand grip, the other has the compressor separate with a hose to the airbrush. I use the handheld compressor one strictly with acrylics, with the other one having an in-line moisture trap that I use for spraying acrylics, enamels, and lacquers. They both have a built-in rechargeable battery with a micro USB charge port. They advertise a 45-minute or more use per charge, but I have yet to run out of power while spraying.

They're a great addition to my large, standalone compressor - and MUCH quieter! I can't believe that no one came up with these years ago!

E
What brand do you have?
Mr. E Man

Post by Mr. E Man »

Here is the handheld compressor version:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is the separate compressor/airbrush version:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09 ... UTF8&psc=1

E
geck

Post by geck »

That's crazy. Hell of a lot cheaper than buying a compressor.