Looking for BLACK Styrene Rods

The place to discuss all aspects of building models from scratch.

Moderators: Joseph C. Brown, Moderators

SpaceRanger1

Looking for BLACK Styrene Rods

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Does anyone produce small-diameter (i.e., 0.010 inch and 0.020 inch) styrene rods in black? All I can find on-line are white (Plastruct and Evergreen brands). But I recently purchased some new old-stock Contrail styrene rods on eBay, and they were black, unlike the gray styrene I remembered from years past, so I know they can be produced.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Andrew Gorman

Re: Looking for BLACK Styrene Rods

Post by Andrew Gorman »

How long do you need them to be? For those diameters you could stretch some black sprue. Black seems to be more available in ABS or acrylic. Just use a hotter solvent and those could work.
Directly above the center of the Earth.
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Andrew Gorman wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:59 am How long do you need them to be? For those diameters you could stretch some black sprue. Black seems to be more available in ABS or acrylic. Just use a hotter solvent and those could work.
I’ve thought of sprue stretching. I’ve not see any black plastic rods that small.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
Chacal
Location: Rio. Always unseasonably warm, even in the Winter, when we'll host the Summer Olympic Games of 2016

Post by Chacal »

For all that's holy, don't google it.
Sheer elegance in its simplicity.

Political unrest in dictatorships is rather like a round of rock-paper-scissors: The oposition goes on denouncing the regime on the papers, the regime censors the papers, rock-throwing ensues.