Favorite scribing tool MIA

Got a question about techniques, materials or other aspects of physically building a model? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

bigbluejavelin

Favorite scribing tool MIA

Post by bigbluejavelin »

So, I had an awesome scribing tool years back that instead of just a pin, it actually removed material. For a few years it was MIA. I searched high and low on the internet and could find a replacement. It eventually showed up last year, and while using it the other other day I happened to look on the handle and noticed it said : Bare Metal Foil Company on it. Best tool I ever bought, and if I loose it again I will know where to get a replacement. I do not think it would ever wear out. Get one, you will not be disappointed.
Too much LDS
southwestforests

Re: Favorite scribing tool MIA

Post by southwestforests »

Ahh, will make a note of that.
Have used Bare Metal Foil's foil, but not their other products.
"There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good."
Tom Mueller of SpaceX, in Air and Space, Jan. 2011
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

You can make a scribing tool out of allot of things. One would be a very small flat(or phillips) screw driver used for "glasses". You can grind it on a pedistal grinder (if you have one) or you could use K&S brass flat stock. You can file it to make it a little narrower. So you can scribe clean/square .020-.030 panel lines(you can file if to .015 if you wanted).
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

Dental picks and scrapers, too. I have an assortment of those (a dentist who's a member of our local IPMS chapter was retiring and donated a bunch of his tools for a fundraiser). Unfortunately I can never remember which one is good for what, so I always have to experiment.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

I've always wanted to get some of the really small "square" dental files used for finishing/prepping root canals. I can't recall what it was called? A Hedstrum (I'm spelling that wrong I'm sure) or K-Flex file? Its a super small square file. I'm talking tiny. It can file square holes like .020-.060 or something like that? I'd love to get a set of them(different sizes). I looked them up to maybe buy them(came in a set) and they are super expensive. Hundreds of dollars. Micro Mark doesn't carry them I don't think?