25th Anniversary, right?

Just what it implies.
Aurora-7

25th Anniversary, right?

Post by Aurora-7 »

Didn't Starship Modeler first appear in 1996? That was the year I discovered the website. Copyright on the page stated 1996-2008.
Saturn

Re: 25th Anniversary, right?

Post by Saturn »

Starfury Resource Page is how I discovered SM. (The Starfury page dates back to '98)
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Dr. Yo

Post by Dr. Yo »

Seems like a thing to celebrate to me.
"Semper fiendish"-Wen Yo
irishtrek

Post by irishtrek »

The owner of Aero Sports and Hobbies is how I discovered SSM.
Normal?? What is normal??
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

Time for a Silver model contest?
Abolish Alliteration
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I found it with a search engine back in 2008 I think...I was just amazed to find such a thing! Thanks for being here.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Lonewolf
Location: In a cloud of alcohol-thinned airbrushed acrylic paint!

Post by Lonewolf »

I've been hanging around since November 2003.
Captain Pike: Don't make me laugh.
Commander Burnham: Fortunately for you, I was raised on Vulcan. We don't do funny.
Captain Pike: Ha! (ouch)
Commander Burnham: Maybe I should just shut up.

Math Problem: Sam has 100 model kits, Frank takes 10 model kits ... what does Sam have?
Answer: 100 model kits and a corpse.
SCI-FI

Post by SCI-FI »

Pretty sure it started in 1996.... I seem to recall finding this place way back when I was a swinging bachelor in my apartment, which was 1996-1997.

-SF
Thom
Location: Ithaca NY - ten square miles surrounded by reality!

Post by Thom »

Kylwell wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:04 am Time for a Silver model contest?
Now that is a great idea! :D
Dictators do not make things 'great.'

My builds.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114506626@N06/sets/
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Thom wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:28 pm
Kylwell wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:04 am Time for a Silver model contest?
Now that is a great idea! :D
Don't make me dig out the chrome plated Enterprise set from the 1990s! :D

But seriously, an all silver or natural metal finish contest does sound cool.
"Of all the chili that I've eaten in my travels, this has the most.......Cumin."
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Wow...time flies. The earliest archived page from 98 has copyright 1997, but it does say since 1996
http://web.archive.org/web/199812120212 ... deler.com/

The question is (and this onezero would need to answer) is this indeed the first SM domain. As I recall, in the early days of the web, it wasn't always clear cut that people needed a domain to put up stuff and so some web sites started out nested inside other servers before getting their own domain name.

I know this was the case for Lunar Models at the time (c.96...possibly even 95). Even CultTVman started someplace else. Alas the archive doesn't have much before 97-98 in general although very little of anything outside of academia existed before 95.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Pat Amaral

Post by Pat Amaral »

The domain, Starshipmodeler.com was originally purchased in 1996. The discussion forums were started sometime after that. As I recall, Starshipmodeler.net was set up in 1997 and the forums were moved there about that time. There have been a couple renditions of the forums since then but they've remained on the .net domain. I don't remember when Onezero set up Starsthipmodeler.biz (The Store) but it's been around for a while as well.

That's what I remember anyway and I've been here since its inception.
Pat A.
=============================
50% Nerd, 50% Geek, 100% Cool
Stu Pidasso

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Gads I'm old. I was one of The First Ones...
So me, trying to be tolerant of everybody's situations, went to a feminist picnic. Things fell apart fairly quickly after nobody made any sandwiches.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Thought I'd post the link to this one. I'm pretty sure all of these kits have been issued, but I can't find any other pick builds. I do recall there was a contest for the logo design, b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
http://www.starshipmodeler.org/gallery1 ... goship.htm
found it
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/contest/logo_ship.htm
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
Madman Lighting

Post by Madman Lighting »

I first discovered SSM back around 2001 I think... I was googling for a model building site and found SSM, CTVM, and a few others. I was working as an IT guy and had recently rediscovered my passion for model building after being burned out from software. Some years later I became guilty of this little project: https://madmanlighting.com/

That lead to a series of MUCH better jobs, and a much happier life. Good old OneZero was kind enough to be my first retailer, before I had my own store, when I had just one general purpose kit with just 9 LEDs.
That Madman Who Lit Up Deep Space Nine
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

Pat Amaral wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:34 pm The domain, Starshipmodeler.com was originally purchased in 1996. The discussion forums were started sometime after that. As I recall, Starshipmodeler.net was set up in 1997 and the forums were moved there about that time. There have been a couple renditions of the forums since then but they've remained on the .net domain. I don't remember when Onezero set up Starsthipmodeler.biz (The Store) but it's been around for a while as well.

That's what I remember anyway and I've been here since its inception.
I remember it had that same domain but the site was called "The Starshipmodelers Resource Site". John changed it at some point to help out Modeler's Resource magazine by preventing any confusion. They're long gone now but this site still sands.

I discovered it in 1996 when it first appeared thanks to an announcement on the HobbyTalk forums or perhaps the CultTVMan website. I was a member of the original forums way back then too.
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
widget

Post by widget »

I popped in around '97-'98.
Surprised y'all put up with me for so long.
This IS my sig.
psytce

Post by psytce »

Madman Lighting wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:57 pm I found it with a search engine back in 2008 I think...I was just amazed to find such a thing! Thanks for being here.
On your information to the right of your post it states : Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:16 am Just so you know. :D

After I post this I'll find out when I found this great site ...

EDIT : Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:57 pm, you beat me by 3 years. :D

The earliest I can find in this post is for: Blappy, who Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:35 pm .... anyone earlier ???

Psytce
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Keep in mind that at certain points in time this site was open to the internet so many of us were just lurkers. I know I was on here around 2000-2001, but didn't join until after it was members only.
onezero
Site Admin
Location: In my living room watching - but I am not laughing.

Post by onezero »

Zubie wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:35 pm Wow...time flies. The earliest archived page from 98 has copyright 1997, but it does say since 1996
http://web.archive.org/web/199812120212 ... deler.com/

The question is (and this onezero would need to answer) is this indeed the first SM domain. As I recall, in the early days of the web, it wasn't always clear cut that people needed a domain to put up stuff and so some web sites started out nested inside other servers before getting their own domain name.

I know this was the case for Lunar Models at the time (c.96...possibly even 95). Even CultTVman started someplace else. Alas the archive doesn't have much before 97-98 in general although very little of anything outside of academia existed before 95.
The first SSM "site" was a sub-page on my AOL account. I had one page for models and one for scuba. (I'll send a free bag of greeblies to the first anyone who can name that site).

I migrated to a sub-domain of my (then new) wife's business site as "starship modeler's resource site" in early 1997. I dropped "resource site" after Modeler's Resource got stuffy - I'd never heard of them, but they had a trademark and a magazine with paying subscribers and everything, and I was just some guy with a dial-up.

Linda (still my wife 25 years on) bought the starshipmodeler.com domain name as a Christmas present in in 1997.

CultTVMan started on AOL. That's where I found him - and Scott VanAken at Modeling Madness as well. Don Matthys (of blessed memory) was on one of the "free" platforms then - I bought my first resin piece from him in 1997, a tinted resin deflector dish for the Monogram "Voyager" - from a post on rec.models.scale. I don't remember where I found Brett Green's Hyperscale ..... he may have just started with the domain name and skipped the free website you got with your eMail address back in the olde days.

Them was the days, a'ight.
<*>
j
john lester
Starship Modeler

A hyphenated word and a non-hyphenated word walk into a bar and the bartender nearly chokes on the irony.
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

onezero wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:47 pm Linda (still my wife 25 years on)
:thumbsup:
onezero wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:47 pm CultTVMan started on AOL. That's where I found him - and Scott VanAken at Modeling Madness as well. Don Matthys (of blessed memory) was on one of the "free" platforms then - I bought my first resin piece from him in 1997, a tinted resin deflector dish for the Monogram "Voyager" - from a post on rec.models.scale. I don't remember where I found Brett Green's Hyperscale ..... he may have just started with the domain name and skipped the free website you got with your eMail address back in the olde days.

Them was the days, a'ight.
ARC, Modeling Madness, Hyperscale, CultTVMan, SM boards. Those were my daily bookmarks throughout the 2000s after discussion on r.m.s. dried up. I can't remember how those sites vanished from my dailies, but yours is the only one left.
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Ahhhhh, memories...

I remember being young and wanting to use Ask.com (before I started using The Goog) to look up sites of starship models. I remember trying to find inspiration and seeing a few suggestions pop up, one of which was the main SSM website. I clicked on it and started reading the articles in the Star Wars and Trek sections. They were so amazing! I'd never seen anyone really describe how to tackle these subjects in such detail. I discovered that many of the models I thought were accurate turned out to be not so accurate, and seeing people accurize them sparked a real desire in me to do the same with my builds.

I remember being afraid to go on the boards though. I was a kid, and these guys I saw on there were really talented and I didn't want to embarrass myself, but I also wanted to be a part of the group. I joined up and I remember my first post. It was about using an electromechanical system to light the Millennium Falcon's engines with a motorized system to pull a light bar closer to the exhaust to make it brighter... or something. Would never have worked, lol.

But everyone here has always inspired me to do better with my modelmaking.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I was reading an article/showcase in Finescale about different Starfury paint jobs, circa 1999-2000. Went straight to the website, haven't looked back. I remember when my then wife was in the hospital, about Xmas 2007, and there was such kindness. John sent me an SSM Christmas ornament, and I kept that thing for a lot of years. We were Real Social Media before it had a name.
Never miss an opportunity to be a class act.
sbaxter

Post by sbaxter »

Wasn't there a forum migration/software change at some point that led to many of us who were here relatively early getting our join dates and post counts reset? Case in point -- I think Zaphod was here before me, but his join date displays as a day after mine. I think this is why so many of us long-time members show as having joined in July of 2002, including also Saturn and even onezero.

Qapla'

SSB
“The entire concept of pessimism crumbles the moment one human being puts aside thoughts of self and reaches out to another to minister to her suffering. The experience of either person can neither be denied nor adequately explained by a negative philosophy.”
-- Michael J. Nelson, Mike Nelson's Mind over Matters
Blappy

Post by Blappy »

sbaxter wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:36 am Wasn't there a forum migration/software change at some point that led to many of us who were here relatively early getting our join dates and post counts reset? Case in point -- I think Zaphod was here before me, but his join date displays as a day after mine. I think this is why so many of us long-time members show as having joined in July of 2002, including also Saturn and even onezero.

Qapla'

SSB
That is correct! :D
BUILDING THE FUTURE!

"In the universe, space travel may be the normal birth pangs of an otherwise dying race. A test. Some races pass, some fail."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Our only chance of long-term survival is not to remain lurking on planet Earth, but to spread out into space.
- Stephen Hawking, 2011

The Blaposphere
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Zubie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 pm Thought I'd post the link to this one. I'm pretty sure all of these kits have been issued, but I can't find any other pick builds. I do recall there was a contest for the logo design, b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
found it
Love this! It wasn't long after I joined the site that this contest came out. I so wanted to enter it, but just couldn't find the time to scratch build something, especially something that could be broken down into a kit! I was always a bit disappointed that there weren't more entries, though the four that were were creative and fun. Still want to one day build my own version of the logo ship...
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Ramsayman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:43 pm
Zubie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 pm ... I do recall there was a contest for the logo design, b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
found it
Love this! It wasn't long after I joined the site that this contest came out. I so wanted to enter it, but just couldn't find the time to scratch build something, especially something that could be broken down into a kit! I was always a bit disappointed that there weren't more entries, though the four that were were creative and fun. Still want to one day build my own version of the logo ship...
Well, been working on this, but there have been technical difficulties and the IRS takes first priority
It's meant to be cardstock build and working on multiple parts to build it with different level of detail or difficulty.
Ramsayman

Post by Ramsayman »

Zubie wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:12 am
Ramsayman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:43 pm
Zubie wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 pm ... I do recall there was a contest for the logo design, b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶
found it
Well, been working on this, but there have been technical difficulties and the IRS takes first priority
It's meant to be cardstock build and working on multiple parts to build it with different level of detail or difficulty.
I'm secretly working on something as well. Shhhhh.... don't tell anyone....
magnus1114

Post by magnus1114 »

Nice.
Destiny is not something you can change for it is a subtle force that shapes our actions and molds our dreams towards a greater purpose.

Circa 2002
trekkist

Post by trekkist »

A 1996 birthdate makes a Botany Bay/DY class(es) contest logical. Since that's too confining, how about "First starships"?

>using an electromechanical system to light the Millennium Falcon's engines with a motorized system to pull a light bar closer to the exhaust to make it brighter...

Has anyone motorized the six "doors" of the Lost in Space derelict? Is there an aftermarket kit for this?