SMD floods on NX-01 - should I bother?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

turner3d

SMD floods on NX-01 - should I bother?

Post by turner3d »

I am in the process of coming up with custom electronics for a Polar Lights 1:350 Enterprise NX-01. A key part of its appearance is from the light patterns cast by 6 separate flood lights on top of the saucer section.

The saucer of the 1:350 is about 15" (38cm) in diameter, so I have a decent amount of room to work with. I am considering picking up some SMDs from hdamodelworx, but there are SO many different sizes, and I have no idea if I can get close to the look I'm after, or if it would just end up being a non-descript wash of light everywhere, turning it into a flashlight. The NX-01 was 100% CGI, and I realize that I'm not going to get exact - reasonably close is fine. Have any of you had any success using SMDs for this type of application? If so, do you have any recommendations on size/type? Thanks!

Rocketeer

Re: SMD floods on NX-01 - should I bother?

Post by Rocketeer »

Here is a link to a Flickr album with pictures of a tank I used SMDs from Evan Designs to light. For each light, I used the tip of a large drill bit to make a reflector-shaped hole, then set the LEDs at the bottom of the hole. I then filled the "dishes" with clear epoxy. You can see what sort of light pattern that makes on adjacent surfaces.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150559382 ... 9508335668

Edit: The headlights are Evans' "nano" size: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1492/ ... -sizes.jpg. The taillight is a "pico".
Last edited by Rocketeer on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turner3d

Post by turner3d »

Very cool idea - thanks!
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I actually built the 1:350 NX-01 with SMD lights for floods. They worked really well in dim light for me, though they were rather finicky to fit.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
turner3d

Post by turner3d »

I bought a couple different sizes of SMDs, some 2mm tower LEDs, and various sizes of fiber optics (.5mm, .75mm, 1mm) and just tried them all. I have decided to go with 1mm fiber optics attached to ultra-bright LEDs. I will be using some of the SMDs I picked up for the observation decks and the planetary sensor, so the purchase wasn't a complete waste. I really liked the look of the brightness/pattern cast on the registry from the 2mm tower LED, but it was just too damn big to even think about putting it in the space provided.

While 1mm is a bit larger than the scale floodlight openings, it's as small as I could go while still casting a decent pattern and a good amount of light. My personal preference is to have the lighting pattern cast on the saucer to be more accurate than the size of the hole the light is coming from. BTW, the trick where you hold a lighter kind of close to the end of the fiber and watching carefully until it just starts to melt for a make-shift lens works really well. I already have fiber optic holes drilled for the 3 bridge floods, registry, upper and lower cargo bays, shuttle bay, and interior pylon floods.

Note that in this pic, there is only a single LED active, and that is the only thing leaking thru windows, etc. Still waiting on it to warm up enough to airbrush my aluminum base coat, then I dive in on the wiring! Very excited.