ALPS printer: how to stop white from flaking off

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

Bellerophon

ALPS printer: how to stop white from flaking off

Post by Bellerophon »

I still have an ALPS printer that still works. But I don't use it often because I can usually get away with printing decals on a laser printer. But I've gotten some really nice results with the ALPS and want to use it again. (Specifically, I want to print black and white hull markings for Space Battleship Yamato 2199 ships.)

The problem is the white isn't quite opaque, so a second layer of white is often necessary. But its adhesion isn't so good, so it tends to flake off if you print a second layer. I can think of possible ways to deal with this but at this point don't want to use up cartridges on experiments.

Anyone know a good fix?
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
WraithVerge

Re: ALPS printer: how to stop white from flaking off

Post by WraithVerge »

Try lightly buffing the decal paper with #0000 grade steel wool before printing. It could be the gloss surface is interfering with adhesion. You're not looking to remove the film; just make it a bit more "matte" for the ink to have enough purchase on it to stick.
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

The Thermal print head may be failing. I have had ALPS printers from day one. At one time I had a catalog of 200 decals all coming off my ALPS.....laying many inks over each other. When a print head would start to fail multi layers would fail.
Not sure about yours....but a possible cause.
Bellerophon

Post by Bellerophon »

WraithVerge: Thanks for that suggestion! I will try this, though I think I will use sanding films. I have a bunch of decal paper from Bel Decal (who went out of business) and as carrier film goes, it's thick and glossy, so I'm not too worried about sanding clear through. (Incidentally, I'm already sanding the back of this paper at the leading edge to prevent jamming in my laserjet.)

Dave: Hopefully the lack of adhesion isn't a sign of the print head failing. I don't think so; it's only a problem with white and then only when I add the second layer. And I'm not the first one to have this problem.

I seem to recall people using VPhoto primer to improve adhesion. IIRC you can't use it as a spot color without switching labels to trick the printer because the printer covers the whole rectangular image area with it. (Also, is the print head hotter for VPhoto primer? If so, tricking the printer wouldn't give the desired result, would it?)

I also think I have heard of people applying a clear coat over the first layer of white before printing the second coat - with the paper still in the printer, of course, since it has to stay in to maintain registration. This seems kind of kooky to me.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/
DaveVan

Post by DaveVan »

Good luck.....I use my 1000 and 5000 as little as I must. I went to a white ink laser but still like the ALPS for the metallic inks.
I used thousands of sheets of BEL paper and never had issues. Spent $100's finding a new paper.
Styrofoam_Guy

Post by Styrofoam_Guy »

I have used the Vphoto cartridge to press down the first white layer before printing if I get that flaking at the edge of the white decals.

It has been a while since I have done it but I do not recall having to change labels.