Vallejo durability on primer?

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

MillenniumFalsehood

Vallejo durability on primer?

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

I just had an opportunity to try Vallejo paint and I'm struck by how easily I was able to scrape it off the plastic of the model I'm working on. I did not use a primer; it was overspray from the cockpit and I scraped it with my fingernail out of curiosity to see how it compared to enamel. It came off easily. What I want to know though is, does its durability improve if you spray on a layer of lacquer or enamel primer first? And will sealing it with clear acrylic varnish like Future improve its durability at all?
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Mr. E Man

Re: Vallejo durability on primer?

Post by Mr. E Man »

In my experience, I have found that acrylic paints do not have particularly good adhesion on bare surfaces, since they are not solvent-based. I always prefer to apply acrylics over a lacquer primer (like Tamiya Fine Surface Primer). The stong lacquer solvent "bites" into the surface of the plastic and provides a good foundation for successive paint layers. This practice has always worked for me. I also like to seal in the paint with a good coat or two of clear varnish, especially before and after applying decals, to keep everything protected.

E
dizzyfugu

Post by dizzyfugu »

This is how ANY acrylic paint adheres/works. Since it is basically water-based, it does - unlike solvent-based enamels - not bond well with the underground. If you apply, them directly on plactic or other non-soaking material, it is prone to scratches or to be rubbed-off easily. A primer mends this, but, again, the paint will not be as stable and "grippy" as an enamel alternative, and even the primer (most have an acrylic basis, too!) might flake. Sanding the respective surface helps, though, because it enlarges the surface and micro-structure that the paint can cling to.
DizzyFugu - Reporting from Germany
http://www.flickr.com/dizzyfugu
Yoda Jammies

Post by Yoda Jammies »

Hi MF!

Your buddy Jammies here. I'll chime in with my two cents. Just think of it as a downpayment on the debt I awe you for all of your contributions to our hobby. I still use your decals for my X-wing minis :)

I am currently a big fan of Vallejo. I have used the Model Master line for my brush painting decades, and love that product. As I began to master the airbrush, I used Tamiya and and Testors.. then settled on VA's Model Master Air. Me and VA had to fight it out in the beginning, but i love it now.

Your comment about paint rubbing off super easy... yup. It does that, at first. It has a long cure time. I think the medium is a poly urithaine and letex mix. But. Once it does cure it is pretty robust. Adding thinner and a flow agent (which is the key to my success with VA) add to the cure time and add to the initial paint rubbing off a tude.

It absolutely needs a primer. Especially as the paint works best thinned and sprayed in light coats (but, that is where you get the neat tonal variation and other artsy fartsy effects). As mentioned by our friends here, and as you know, solvent based primers are best as they have a bit of chemical "heat" to get into the plastic.

For me, one of my goals has been to get solvent based paint out of my shop. I just don't need that stuff in my house-- even with a hood and a mask. I do still use the rattle cans outside: but I live in KY. We get two weeks of not winter and not humidity in the bizzillians. So, I looked for alternatives.

VA makes a primer. If you want my advice on VA primer, buy it and then immediately throw it in the rubbage bin. Preferably before leaving the hobby shop. It is that bad. Other's swear by it, but for me it actually flakes off the plastic, but only after hours of work painting a detailed camo pattern. The night before Wonderfest. It is that evil.

That makes Stylex (however it is spelled) primer a god send to me. It cures hard as rock, and is acrylic based so no fumes. I also put down a clear coat between layers if I get nervouse a bout farking it up.. but only after I let the VA cure for a week or so.

To sum up what Jammies does:
Stylex primer, VA Model Master Air thinned with VA thinner and VA flow improver. Let it cure. Spray a clear coat every now and then (I use future or Alclad aqua whatever), you will be good.

MTFBWY
Jammies
ulvdemon

Post by ulvdemon »

Just a little bit of an add on. I just completed a build in which I used Vallejo's gloss black primer and various grays. I've had no problem with the paint scratching off, but I did go about a week between coats at the most. The last step was a couple of coats of Future. Thus far, no issues (other than airbrush and improper thinning issues from using a new paint) and it's displayed at work.
Current build: 1/32 Hasegawa F6F-5 Hellcat

Completed: 1/48 Hasegawa F-16CM<,1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM, 1/48 Revell/Monogram AH-64A, Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D, AMT 1/420 USS Defiant, AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise, 1/72 Bandai VF-1J, AMT 1/537 USS Reliant, Academy 1/35 M1-A1 Abrams, Academy 1/48 F-86F30, Linbergh's USS Gato