LED flexible filament

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

erredois

LED flexible filament

Post by erredois »

I came across this YouTube video - Vader diorama with lighted saber.
The guy used a VERY interesting solution that will certainly fit to many of our projects!!,

https://youtu.be/bEZi77j2zIk
Erredois
seam-filler

Re: LED flexible filament

Post by seam-filler »

Cool stuff - now all I've got to do is find a UK supplier.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

I just found out about these today. I have found them on Ebay Canada and Ebay yanks, and they may exist in the UK as well.

Here is an example of a blue LED filament with a length of 130 mm, which needs a drive voltage of 3 volts:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284639515761?m ... media=COPY
Never miss an opportunity to be a class act.
bigbluejavelin

Post by bigbluejavelin »

Thanks for the link zaphod, I ordered a set, and will share my opinion assuming this thread still exists when they show up.
Too much LDS
bigbluejavelin

Post by bigbluejavelin »

Received in yesterday's mail. Flexible as cooked spaghetti. Not super bright, a nice even glow. I am going to order in green to use for warp nacelles in the old Romulan Warbird from the TNG Adversary set. The blue looks really good.
Too much LDS
Tommy8008

Post by Tommy8008 »

I'm using these to light up the 2500 Enterprise D.

Bit of advice. Use thin wire, unless you are a soldering grand master, as the terminals are only a few millimetres in length and is very fiddly.

They are on ebay UK. If you are only after the 130mm length, https://www.railwayscenics.com/filament ... -3801.html UK seller.
bigbluejavelin

Post by bigbluejavelin »

Now the real challenge is finding a tubing that is clear that I can run the filament through to achieve rigidity. I am thinking a ball point pen ink tube. So far all I have are a bit to small. I suppose I can bore it out with a 2mm drill bit. Also thinking of using conductive epoxy or glue instead of soldering as my hands are not as steady as they used to be. Anyone hear used conductive glue or epoxy?
Too much LDS
brt

Post by brt »

bigbluejavelin wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:52 am Now the real challenge is finding a tubing that is clear that I can run the filament through to achieve rigidity. I am thinking a ball point pen ink tube. So far all I have are a bit to small. I suppose I can bore it out with a 2mm drill bit. Also thinking of using conductive epoxy or glue instead of soldering as my hands are not as steady as they used to be. Anyone hear used conductive glue or epoxy?
Clear pvc tubing at the hardware store. Various dimensions.
“Life is pain, highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.”
― William Goldman
bigbluejavelin

Post by bigbluejavelin »

I was thinking of something less flexible, maybe the pickup tube from a spray bottle.
Too much LDS
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

Tommy8008 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:01 pm I'm using these to light up the 2500 Enterprise D.

Bit of advice. Use thin wire, unless you are a soldering grand master, as the terminals are only a few millimetres in length and is very fiddly.
Speaking as someone who does this for a living, thin wire would be a mistake. Use thicker wire (prolly 24-22AWG), tin the ends after you strip, and then heat the solder, settle the LED lead into the solder, and hold it till it solidifies.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

MillenniumFalsehood wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
Tommy8008 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:01 pm I'm using these to light up the 2500 Enterprise D.

Speaking as someone who does this for a living, thin wire would be a mistake. Use thicker wire (prolly 24-22AWG), tin the ends after you strip, and then heat the solder, settle the LED lead into the solder, and hold it till it solidifies.
Got to agree with MillenniumFalsehood - as a complete amateur (not to mention arthritic and fat-fingered) thin wire is much harder to handle, especially when soldering to short terminals. As he says - pre-tinning is a must.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

seam-filler wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:32 am
MillenniumFalsehood wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm

Got to agree with MillenniumFalsehood - as a complete amateur (not to mention arthritic and fat-fingered) thin wire is much harder to handle, especially when soldering to short terminals. As he says - pre-tinning is a must.
Would you believe this is what I do every single day these days for cables meant to go in nuclear weapons? :P Though in this case it's resistors and not LEDs, but the same principle applies.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Mick4350

Post by Mick4350 »

Found these new LEDS that call themselves Meteor LEDS are on a substrate around 55mm long with 45mm of that numerous LED chips along both sides of the module, controled by a small surface mount IC to create a running effect in 6 different colours. Works on 3 volts.
https://www.ledsales.com.au/index.php?m ... ts_id=3020
Last edited by Mick4350 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mick4350

Post by Mick4350 »

delete. double post.