Silly paint question

This is the place to get answers about painting, weathering and other aspects of finishing a model.

Moderators: DasPhule, Moderators

jpolacchi

Silly paint question

Post by jpolacchi »

I have been buying NOS Flowquil paints.Some of them may be a newer,re-formulated paint,but it is Flowquil non the less.In any case,I know typically these are "enamel"paints.Always have been.I know I can get an enamel thinner to use with them,and I have also read elsewhere that the Flowquil paints were/can be thinned/reduced using a lacquer thinner.Does it matter which you use,and if you use a "lacquer thinner",does that change the Flowquil paint and make it a "lacquer based paint,or does the thinner change nothing other than maybe it might dry quicker?Concerning weathering and washes...if "oils" are used for washes and if you thinned the Flowquil paint using a lacquer thinner,will the mineral spirits&turpentine still attack and dissolve the Flowquil paint?
Kylwell

Re: Silly paint question

Post by Kylwell »

The solvents will generally always attack the underlying paints. The thinner, whether mineral spirits or lacquer thinner, doesn't affect the binder & pigments.
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

So,in other words it does't matter which thinner is used(enamel or lacquer to reduce Flowquil),one isn't necessarily better than the other.If weathering with oils and mineral spirits&turpentine are used...a "clear coat" to protect the paint "might" help a little in keeping the oils from tarnishing previous applications of Flowquil?
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

I suggest you try experimenting - you must have some parts in your spares box.

Whatever you do decide to do, remember to let coats cure thoroughly before you move onto the next stage. At least a couple of days I would suggest.
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Kylwell

Post by Kylwell »

That I couldn't tell you. I don't used enamels like Floquil.
Abolish Alliteration
jpolacchi

Post by jpolacchi »

Well,typically I wouldn't do further work until the coats dry thoroughly.I was watching a tutorial..or..."Adam Savage episode" and he was using Flowquil paints,thinning them with lacquer thinner,and calling them "lacquers" which sort of threw me off because I know they are enamels.Apparently Flowquil behaves like a lacquer if you use lacquer thinner to thin them for airbrushing?He stated they dry almost instantly and you can just keep painting and he was using oils with mineral spirits or turpentine to make washes and it wasn't doing anything to the paint he just laid down(I am assuming within the hour?).Yeah,I can experiment a little,but the Flowquils are in limited supply,hard to replace and REALLY expensive since they have been discontinued.