Tamiya handy drill

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

bigbluejavelin

Tamiya handy drill

Post by bigbluejavelin »

My better half got me one of these for Christmas, although it came a few days later. So I finally thought to put it together today, and since I am no longer a young guy, and I have a bit of arthritis, it was not as quick of a build as I thought it would be. (like anything else!). Got to say, other than I do not play well with springs, and the snap rings are really tiny, and I am still getting used to Japanese instruction sheets, and I am just an old fart, if you do any drilling in plastic models, you should have one of these. I will be picking up my very small drill bits from my storage unit tomorrow, but I think the smaller collet will work well. Overall, I am quite impressed, and building it was rewarding!
Too much LDS
aussie cylon

Re: Tamiya handy drill

Post by aussie cylon »

I too have one of these, and am quite impressed with it. The only thing I did was add a little more grease to the cogs etc as the little tube of grease supplied with the kit was, well, little...
Perfect for drilling plastic, perfect speed and does not spin too fast as to melt it. The only gripe I have is that the collets supplied are only up to about 2mm. I would've liked about double that. But apart from that, yeah, gotta agree, it's an awesome little tool. And it comes in kit form, so great for us modelers to build it ourselves...
jonfak

Post by jonfak »

I have it too. I replaced the plastic bearings with Tamiya RC car bearings. Also the Dremel collets fit nicely and work for the 60-80 size bits.
Tchail

Post by Tchail »

jonfak wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:24 pm I have it too. I replaced the plastic bearings with Tamiya RC car bearings. Also the Dremel collets fit nicely and work for the 60-80 size bits.
Which Dremel collets are you using? The ones I have are too small to work in my Handy Drill without an adapter.

The included Tamiya collets measure 5.97 mm / 0.235 inch in diameter, while the Dremel collets are 4.34 mm / 0.171 inch in diameter.

I also tried the Procyon collets, without success.
“In the beginning the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry, and has generally been regarded as a bad move." Episode 5, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
AZRhino

Post by AZRhino »

Tchail wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:49 pm The included Tamiya collets measure 5.97 mm / 0.235 inch in diameter, while the Dremel collets are 4.34 mm / 0.171 inch in diameter.
The conical tip is what allows other brands of collets to work in the Handy Drill. When you tighten down the chuck, the conical shape helps center bit as well as tightening down the collet (hopefully) preventing the bit from slipping. The base of the collet is smaller that the diameter of the opening so you may need to fiddle with alignment a little so that you don't have wobble in the drill bit, but I have had no problems using the Dremel collets or the cheaper Sona Enterprise versions.
totty100

Post by totty100 »

I've got 2 of these. Bought one last year and loved it - perfect for drilling windows in sci-fi models.
I found myself swapping drill bits too often, so I bought a second drill this year. I can keep my 2 most common
bits installed without too much swapping.
Also, had a lot of holes to drill and didn't want my only decent drill packing up !
It's way lighter than my Dremel, so doesn't put too much strain on my 0.3mm bits, just the right speed for plastic.
Does anyone know where you can buy these in UK? I had to import mine from Japan
seam-filler

Post by seam-filler »

totty100 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:26 pm Does anyone know where you can buy these in UK? I had to import mine from Japan
eModels usually has them (a trifle on the pricey side), but they're currently showing as out of stock - but you can set up a notification...
https://www.emodels.co.uk/tamiya-model- ... 74041.html

Tamyia also do a router - (item number 74042) - has anyone given that a go?
"I'd just like to say that building large smooth-skinned models should be avoided at all costs. I now see why people want to stick kit-parts all over their designs as it covers up a lot of problems." - David Sisson
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

seam-filler wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 am Tamyia also do a router - (item number 74042) - has anyone given that a go?
I wonder what the difference is :-k
jonfak

Post by jonfak »

Same body different color. No gear reduction so it goes faster. Tamiya sells bites for it too.
Rogviler

Post by Rogviler »

Ah, that makes sense. I thought they looked suspiciously similar.