Flickering LED?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

mograph

Flickering LED?

Post by mograph »

I'd like to take a white LED and make it flicker, but not quite like the welding/fire-style LEDs I see commercially available.
I'd like the LED to stay constant for, say, five seconds, then flicker for a half-second, then repeat that constant/flicker cycle.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to adjust the length of the constant period, but I'm not picky.

I've never used Arduino, but I've done some FORTRAN (ha!) and javascript, so if I have to go there, I suppose I will.

BTW, I'm trying to give some life to the 16mm screens inside a Moebius 2001 pod without going so far as to buy Carl Darby's tiny video screens for that kit. Lovely though they may be, my budget for this kit is near the breaking point. (Carl's on Facebook.)
naoto

Re: Flickering LED?

Post by naoto »

If you don't mind doing a bit of programming, aside from using an Arduino, other options include:
BBC micro:bit
https://www.adafruit.com/category/932

Raspberry Pi Zero
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3400

as for anybody who says "programming is hard" -- try out the "blocks editor" environment available for the BBC micro:bit
https://microbit.org/code/
(there's a similar environment called Scratch on the Raspberry Pi)
Last edited by naoto on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
mograph

Post by mograph »

Ah -- I had forgotten about the Raspberry Pi.
Thanks, Naoto.
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

I wonder if you can get an old one of those controller devices from someone who has upgraded to later editions. Controlling a few light circuits should not tax them at all.

As far as the screens, I think I've seen some old video players, some in watch format, show up on clearance at discount shops. I suppose you could animate a couple of screens using one of those behind the control panel. My wife gave me a small MP3/4 player that can do that and it's only about 1/4" thick and about 2x2" in area with a screen about 1"square. I think she said it was less that $10 (prob 4x that when new...but these have been totally replaced by phones in the last 10 years).
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
naoto

Post by naoto »

Zubie wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:26 pm I wonder if you can get an old one of those controller devices from someone who has upgraded to later editions. Controlling a few light circuits should not tax them at all.

As far as the screens, I think I've seen some old video players, some in watch format, show up on clearance at discount shops. I suppose you could animate a couple of screens using one of those behind the control panel. My wife gave me a small MP3/4 player that can do that and it's only about 1/4" thick and about 2x2" in area with a screen about 1"square. I think she said it was less that $10 (prob 4x that when new...but these have been totally replaced by phones in the last 10 years).
https://www.amazon.com/Coby-1-5-Inch-Di ... CSE8W6TNW7
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
Ant

Post by Ant »

I could possibly provide you with a very small bespoke solution pre-programmed to your needs. I have done a lot of custom lighting modules for kits over the years.

Coincidentally I have also just got the EVA Pod and am currently working on a complete solution, screens and internal lighting that would be easier to fit than current options, but there are definitely challenges ahead and it's early days yet!
mograph

Post by mograph »

Ant wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 am I could possibly provide you with a very small bespoke solution pre-programmed to your needs. I have done a lot of custom lighting modules for kits over the years.
Thanks, Ant ... 1 LED per screen might be the thing. I expect to construct a box behind each monitor, and shine an LED sideways onto one wall of the box, angled at 45 degrees to the screen, to bounce the LED light from the wall back toward the screen. I'll send you a PM.
Ant wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:30 amCoincidentally I have also just got the EVA Pod and am currently working on a complete solution, screens and internal lighting that would be easier to fit than current options, but there are definitely challenges ahead and it's early days yet!
Courageous, you! :D
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Never mind.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
iandrewmartin

Post by iandrewmartin »

Arduino is the one I've used most for these style projects and the dev environment is super easy and intuitive. And you can design and program in all of the variables that you want to make your LED stay on as long or as short as you need.

By the kit to get started (about $35.00 Aussie, les overseas) and get started that way.

They are a lot of fun and very addictive. And really cheap too once you mastered them.
Regards

Andrew Martin
Melbourne Victoria, Australia
Modelling: Star Wars, Star Trek, and Mechanicals
Zubie

Post by Zubie »

Hmm, yep a lot of kits out there for varying needs. I should have noted sooner having recently been to a lighting panel at this year's Arisia. Admittedly most of the people there were interested in costuming projects, but it all applies. I asked about what I thought of as somewhat cheaper and easier circuits using some more traditional timing circuits with relatively simple components (timing chips and such...me- :old: ). I was thinking in terms of using something like the old 555 timer - such as this one - or even just a capacitor, a transistor and some resistors. Note this last one will require math to get other than the timings in the video as this is pretty much an analog device that depends on the electrical characteristics of the components involved which can be fairly involved for a novice.

While one of the panelists agreed you can still do this, the usage of programmable drivers and addressable LED chains are much more flexible and easier to implement (programmable sequences, multiple channels, etc.). On the whole these are not particularly cost prohibitive, although there is a fairly wide price range depending on the kit's complexity. Many of the kits are rather specific though such as usage in badge pins or in particular preset shapes like stars or circles, but there are more general purpose ones out there. There are also a lot of DIY info on using some of the new addressable LED chains, some of which already have pre-programmed effects.

The more fundamental questions were those of adequate power supplies and battery life as these tools can now support fairly expansive lighting displays. On a secondary note was also the increased brightness of some of these kits which required a caveat. Excessive brightness and flashing lights can be an issue for some individuals (as I said, a lot of people were there for costume effects and would probably use these at cons in public).

Adafruit was mentioned frequently as a project parts and kits supplier.
La maquina sobre mi escritorio es una "computadora" del latin "computare", no un "ordenador". El estado de mi escritorio afirma eso. (yo/me)
TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan

Post by TurkeyVolumeGuessingMan »

That's wild. I've never seen a Pi Zero before. I have a Pi 3 with Ubuntu Linux installed on it. My daughter uses it to watch YouTube on the TV instead of commandeering my hobby room's computer.
Greg
Plastic modeling and other nerd stuff in Japan on my YouTube channel
My WIP modeling page on Tumblr.
One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick. And I was like, "That log had a child!"