Glow-In-The-Dark paint for fiber optics /light pipes?

Ask and answer questions, share tips and resources for installing lighting and other electronics in your models.

Moderators: Sparky, Moderators

RedHeadKevin

Glow-In-The-Dark paint for fiber optics /light pipes?

Post by RedHeadKevin »

I'm building the Bandai Blockade Runner, and I'd like to do SOMETHING to give an impression that the engines are burning, but I'm not going to run LEDs for the engines. The engines are almost exactly 1/8", so I was going to use some clear Plastruct rod and cut plugs for each engine. I was trying to find a way to give SOME lighting effect. I took a 1/8" clear yellow rod, and tried spraying one end with white paint, or chrome paint, or clear red, while leaving a clear "lens" on the other end. I was trying to catch some light inside the rod and reflect it back to the "lens" end of the clear rod. Then it hit me: What if I used glow-in-the-dark paint?
My reasoning is this: light will get into the engine through the clear rod, hopefully with enough transmitted to charge the GitD paint. The GitD paint would then glow, and it would light up the clear "lens" end. Before I go out and buy some, has anyone tried this? Am I making the least bit of sense?
Richard Baker

Re: Glow-In-The-Dark paint for fiber optics /light pipes?

Post by Richard Baker »

It could work but unless you chose a special colored Glow paint they would have a weird green tint.

You could try some fluorescent paint and set a UV light nearby- they would definitely light up then.
"The future is not what it used to be" - G'Kar

Things go wrong and bad things happen- that is just the way the world is-
It is how you deal with it that tells the world who you truly are.

“Censorship is telling a man he can’t have a steak just because a baby can’t chew it.” -Mark Twain

Deviant Art Gallery-
http://phaedrus-3.deviantart.com/
EVApodman

Post by EVApodman »

RedHeadKevin wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:28 pm My reasoning is this: light will get into the engine through the clear rod, hopefully with enough transmitted to charge the GitD paint. The GitD paint would then glow, and it would light up the clear "lens" end. Before I go out and buy some, has anyone tried this? Am I making the least bit of sense?
No.

You are going to have to use LEDs if you want to show the engines running.
"Nothing to do now but drink a beer and watch the universe die."
"Basically what I do everyday."

I AM Spartacus!
I'm Batman.

Don't believe everything you see on the Internet!- Abraham Lincoln

Oh my God!! It's full of plastic peanuts!

Today is a good day to model!
Rocketeer

Post by Rocketeer »

Why not just put a little round reflecty jewel-thing in each engine, perhaps tinted with a bit of clear paint? Kylwell posted this link in another thread; these might work: http://www.suessparklers.com/mm5/mercha ... gory_Code=
SpaceRanger1

Post by SpaceRanger1 »

Plastruct makes fluorescent acrylic rods in various diameters. These absorb light along their length then emit it from the end. They're available in red, blue, yellow, and green. These might be ideal for your project. One or two LEDs in an accessible spot might be enough to provide the light level you are looking for.

https://plastruct.com/product-category/strip-and-rod/
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, TX

"Yup, exactly what SpaceRanger1 is saying. 100%" — seashark
naoto

Post by naoto »

I do recall seeing some Gundam figures that used such "light pipe" setup for the mono-eye so that in daylight, the mono-eye would appear to glow.
Naoto Kimura
木村直人
MillenniumFalsehood

Post by MillenniumFalsehood »

You can do some experiments to test this idea, but I think the effect would be too unnoticeable to be worth all the effort. LEDs would make better sense, and there's plenty of room inside the engine bay for whole LEDs to power each engine for a really nice and bright effect.
If a redhead works at a bakery, does that make him a gingerbread man?

Ponies defeat a Star Trek villain? Give them a Star Wars award ceremony!
Mr. Engineer

Post by Mr. Engineer »

I did not get the Bandai Model so I am not sure how tight the spaces are inside the Blockade Runner nor the inner diameter of the engines, so, from here on, it's just theory:

A) Using light pipes
This is a great idea as in theory you can use a single light source and spread it on. However, the first problem would be that you will need to find the pipes of the proper diameter and bend them. Even of it works, the lights would be uneven. Using fluorescent light pipes and sticking aluminum tapes around it is great too but you'd still need a light source-the only disadvantage is that the colours reflected back would be the fluorescent colours of he pipes and not yellowish, even if you shine a UV source on it.

Mr. Antsnest on the other hand (the brilliant guy who first gave you the roving Cyclon Eye for the Moebius 1/32 Advance Cylon raider) has the solution of applying LEDs onto the model but with electronics at the base. The wiring might look scary but it's actually very easy. When he mentioned using 0603 SMD LEDs, it would mean the inner diameter of the engine could be less than 2mm. There are 2mm LEDs but you might need to cut some 2mm or so fibreoptics to lenghten the LED's reach until to the opening.

Here is his protoptype: https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/b ... ts.301496/
Here is his lighting kit: https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/b ... le.302321/
What can I take apart today?

https://www.facebook.com/PisceanWorks
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Engineer wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:20 pm Mr. Antsnest on the other hand (the brilliant guy who first gave you the roving Cyclon Eye for the Moebius 1/32 Advance Cylon raider)
Blush :oops: Thanks!
Ant